12 mm Rod Upgrade for TAZ

A forum dedicated to the stock LulzBot TAZ 3D Printer
piercet

Re: 12 mm Rod Upgrade for TAZ

Post by piercet » Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:56 am

discojon wrote:I haven't priced it but surely the open builds conversion is less expensive than buying new linear rods.

It really depends on where you get the rods, what hardness you go with, and which linear bearings you use. The Rods are going to be much more expensive than a set of rails ($25 ea for a decent set compared to $5.00 for the Openbuilds rail), but the bearings can be found for about $4 each, the openbuilds wheel kits run around $6.75 and you need 4 of them to 3 of the other bearings for X, for X axis you need a $12 plate, so it's basically $62 for X rods vs $49 for the Openbuilds setup, which takes another $7 or so in hardware to finish. the plastic cost between the two is essentially a wash. Those $25 rods are not going to be as good as the Openbuillds rails at decreasing deflection, and there are more expensive options that can improve performance. You also don't get a belt tensioner with the rod setup, which i feel is very important (Well technically i suppose they could add my retrofit belt tensioner, but that doesn't count!) . The Openbuilds parts have dropped about $30 since I first put the design out there, which i think is the main reason people see it as being much more expensive, because at one time it was. Now it's pretty much a wash. Except for the Z axis which is more expensive since it takes 8 wheels instead of 4.

PHugger

Post by PHugger » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:19 pm

I have a set of hardened 12mm rods and linear bearing for my Taz 5 X axis. I plan on installing them soon (almost done with my "Overkill Enclosure"). I would also like to upgrade all of the other bushings to linear bearings. I have a few questions about the other 10mm rods on the Taz (Z and Y axis). Do these need to be "hardened" or are the stock 10mm rods OK for use with linear bearings? I looked over at Misumi for hardened 10mm rods and they are only available with different tolerance designations than the 12mm which I have on hand -
  • The 12mm rods I have are H5 tolerance
  • The 10mm are only available in G6 tolerance
Does this matter? Is there something else I should be looking at? What is the difference between PSFJ (available in 10mm) and PSFU (not available).
https://us.misumi-ec.com/vona2/detail/1 ... PSFJ10-500
Any advice or an alternate source would be appreciated.

Best regards,
PCH

piercet

Post by piercet » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:46 pm

The bed has some potential deflection in stock configuration. There is a 12mm rod bed conversion in existance, but you would likely literally be the first person to ever test it. http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1549505

PHugger

Post by PHugger » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:20 am

Thanks - it looks promising. What about the Stock 10mm rods? Is it OK to use the Linear bearings on them?
My question is more general - are the stock rods hardened?
What rods are required for linear bearings?
I've read through the forums and picked up tid-bits of information, but I'm not sure about this.

Best regards,
PCH

InfiniteGinger

Post by InfiniteGinger » Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:19 pm

PHugger wrote:Thanks - it looks promising. What about the Stock 10mm rods? Is it OK to use the Linear bearings on them?
My question is more general - are the stock rods hardened?
What rods are required for linear bearings?
I've read through the forums and picked up tid-bits of information, but I'm not sure about this.

Best regards,
PCH
None of the stock rods are hardened. At least on the Taz 6 they are not. I'd imagine given the price difference, same would hold true for the other models

http://devel.lulzbot.com/TAZ/Olive/prod ... ooth_rods/