Resuming print doesn't resume extrusion (TAZ 5)

Hey all, I wonder if anyone else has this problem (and hopefully a solution :wink: ): when I try to pause and then resume a print on my TAZ 5, whether from the LCD interface or via Cura/USB connection, it starts moving again (x, y, and z axes) but NEVER extruding! Iā€™ve tried this several times with different prints, and it always fails, so I end up reprinting the whole thing. I donā€™t think the nozzle is immediately getting clogged, because I move the print head away from the model, replace/re-insert the filament, and successfully extrude a decent amount before resuming. Whaaaat is going on. Canā€™t seem to find anyone else discussing this (maybe my search skills suck).

I donā€™t know if this is related, but Iā€™ve also had a few prints justā€¦ freeze midway throughā€”i.e. the head stops moving, extruder stops extruding (well, thatā€™s lucky), but both the hotend and bed stay at temp, and the LCD says itā€™s still printing. Head scratcher, that. This has only happened printing from the SD card; however, I donā€™t typically print from a computer anymore, since I need to drag my laptop to workā€¦ and thatā€™s prime printinā€™ time. So I canā€™t definitively say it wouldnā€™t do the same.

Edit: not sure if this is relevant, but for the second issue (stopping mid-print), even after I ā€œStop Printā€, it still says ā€œPrintingā€¦ā€.

S.O.S. Please send help!

This reply comes late for the questioner but I want to reply in case someone else has same issue of print halting midway when using the SDcard.

I faced the same symptoms. I printed twice from the SD card and both cases it stopped at same spot leaving heaters on. This made me worried something might happen one day if I cannot troubleshoot why the print stopped like that.

I checked that the file in the SD card looked OK. I then printed the same original Gcode file from my PC directly with Cura - No issues. I also copied the file again from my PC to another SDcard and it worked now OK. I finally formatted the original SD card and I havenā€™t had this issue since. Iā€™m still using the same SDcard. So if this happens again try to format your SD card.

Juho

Hi Juho,

I believe youā€™re right about the SD card (at least for the second part of my issue); I ordered a new one, and I havenā€™t had random, mid-print stops since. Thank you for chiming in!

Still canā€™t figure out why it doesnā€™t resume extrusion when I pause and resume, which stinks but oh well.