Temperature Controlled Enclosure

Hey Everyone,

I had a wonderful idea the other day, I’m just not knowledgeable enough to pull it off. With winter coming I’m finding myself needing a heated enclosure for my TAZ to help out those 48hr ABS prints from cracking.

It occurred to me the other day that there is an extra temperature probe connection on the Rambo board because I’m not using a Dual extruder. Therefore, if I were to use the second temp probe to measure the ambient air temperature then the gcode can be used to set the temperature of my enclosure.

Where I am getting confused is where a output signal could be located on the Rambo board to close the relay and bring on the heat when needed. Any thoughts?

you would need a heater, a thermister, a larger power supply, a preferably solid state relay, and likely some fans.

You would use the thermistor to read the enclosure temp.
The heater would be wired to the SSR, which in turn would be powered by the heater output from the rambo.
The SSR would be powered via the larger power supply.
SSR signal would come from the “2nd extruder” heater supply.
The fans would be used to ensure that there is no localized heating.
To control the temp via gcode you would just use the dual extruder firmware, and just preheat the extruder to the desired temp.

I had planned on using a dumb space heater and finding a 120V relay. That way I wouldn’t need a larger power supply and the space heater has its own fan.

Random relay question. If I am using a 12v DC source to close the 120V AC source would the AC flow over to the DC side or are the switch part and circuit part of a relay insulated from each other?

Sorry, I read that as you powering the heater with the larger power supply. So you are saying the Lulzbot supplied power supply would not have enough power to activate the solid state relay?

there is plenty of power to activate a relay of any type using the stock power supply.

if you are going to use a mains powered heater then another power supply is not necessary.

an ssr is preferable due to no clicking and a service life that will last lifetimes for your application.

if you are activating a relay with dc, and using the relay to power an ac device you need a relay that is designed for this purpose.

I’ve been considering building an enclosure too and find myself wondering just what exactly is needed/useful? Looking around I see everything from cardboard boxes (way to ugly lol) to some really sophisticated endeavors (the Hot Box comes to mind… I’d let the designer build me a house).
I’m still relatively new to 3d, but have experienced enough warpage/layer separation with a few large ABS prints to consider the enclosure route. On the other hand, I see some very skilled printers here who do not appear to use one and seem to manage well sans enclosure? That leads me to think that it may be easy to indulge in overkill with enclosures. Just how much temp control is warranted? I’ve heard the number 40c (104f) bandied about as ideal ambient for ABS. I’m not sure if there are other exotics that would benefit from higher ambient temps? I’ve also seen lots of peeps using acrylic enclosures with no additional heat source (other than a heated bed) and maintaining temps about 90f, ~32c and giving rave revues about results. I wonder also how much benefit is gained just creating the dead air space/removing drafts?

I wonder where the sweet spot really is and how far one really must go to get there?

What I ended up purchasing was a STC-1000 temperature controller from ebay ($10). I installed it in a radio shack enclosure box ($9) and wired it to a house receptacle ($3). So for $20 I have a temperature controlled outlet that I can connect a space heater to or a fan if it gets to hot. Simply program the STC at what temperature you want and it will switch between heat or cooling.

My only two complaints is the STC-1000 is limited to 15 Amps and it only displays in Centigrade. But you specify printing temps in degrees C so it all works out.

Now my card board box is temperature controlled. We are High Tech over here… where is that Degrasse Tyson emoji when you need it.