Taz 6 print bed

Is it advisable to print directly on the Taz 6 print bed without any tape or liquid? I’ve been printing like this since my first purchase without applying anything on it. All my material sticks well as long as I got the temp. right. But, i notice some discoloration on the bed. What is the effect in the long run? What should I apply in order to provide a longer lifespan for the bed?

In general, printing directly on the PEI bed that comes with the T6 is the best bet. There are a few filaments out there that are extraordinarily sticky that require printing on glue or blue tape though. Your best get is just to google the specific filament and get a consensus and do some experimenting.

I have some fresh unused kapton tape at home. Is it worth using once my PEI bed reached it’s full usability?

PEI is one of the best print surfaces available. Unless you damage the bed there is no end of life for it. If prints have a hard time sticking then just sand it a little with 1500 sandpaper then clean with isopropyl alcohol to make it stick like new again.

Just a note, If you do choose to sand PEI please “wet sand” only. with 1500 to 2000 grit sand paper, then clean the PEI with 90% water and 10% alcohol. It is best to clean with the same solution after every print.(90% water 10 % alcohol)
Hope this helps.

Alright, my PEI bed can last forever, only clean with 90% water and 10% alcohol. Awesome! Thanks all!

Just to add on to this. Don’t make the same mistake I did. I used like 30-40% IPA when wet sanding with 2000 grit sandpaper.

My bed stuck so well that when I tried to remove a print it cracked my bed. $150 usd heat bed kit from lulz as replacement…