TAZ Head v2.1 clogging

A forum dedicated to the stock LulzBot TAZ 3D Printer
GekoCH
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:44 am

Re: TAZ Head v2.1 clogging

Post by GekoCH » Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:41 am

Ok the Cura slicing did also fail... almost at the same layer height... hmm strange...
So it must be somehow a heat problem... or not?

I'm now out of ideas...

Andy

nopick
Posts: 1010
Joined: Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:14 am

Re: TAZ Head v2.1 clogging

Post by nopick » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:47 am

If you have a 0.5mm nozzle installed, I would recommend printing the part with a 0.4mm layer thickness at a higher speed than you have been. This will move the filament through the cold section of the hot end at a higher rate. That will keep the filament cooler if you are actually having heat creep related filament jams in the cold section of the hot end.

I have actually had to switch to 1.75mm filament to combat heat creep on my low extrusion rate parts.

aramis
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:58 pm

Re: TAZ Head v2.1 clogging

Post by aramis » Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:11 pm

Heat creep still happens with the v2.1 head? I've been using Excelfil 2.85mm PLA exclusively and have never had an issue. My Taz 6 has 10 full spools through it at this point, with print times typically ranging from 5 - 16 hours. Not a single failed print, and all of those hours were done at 0.2mm layer height.

Is it possible that there's an error in the part? Maybe check it in netfabb basic or something?

nopick
Posts: 1010
Joined: Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:14 am

Re: TAZ Head v2.1 clogging

Post by nopick » Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:27 pm

I built a Taz 6 style toolhead and did have heat creep problems. I have also had heat creep problems with E3D V6 hotends so, it is possible. I imagine it all depends on extrusion rate, print temperatures, room temperature and filament type.

It would be worthwhile to print another similar model to rule out some problem there.

GekoCH
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:44 am

Re: TAZ Head v2.1 clogging

Post by GekoCH » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:25 am

I really push the limits of the printer in terms of short extrusion over a long time period and this probably leads to failure.

I now have two successful prints one 5 hour and one 11 hour.
I did reduce the Outline overlap and this seems to work. However I now have really tiny holes see picture:
If I increase the value just 10% they disappear however on large prints this might result in a failure later during the print....
IMG_20161121_072151.jpg
Andy

Post Reply