TAZ 6 - no greasing required on ANY axis?

A forum dedicated to the stock LulzBot TAZ 3D Printer
Post Reply
zorrobyte
Posts: 40
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:23 am

TAZ 6 - no greasing required on ANY axis?

Post by zorrobyte » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:44 pm

Greetings.

First Lulzbot printer here. I have a new Taz 6 and read in the manual that no greasing is required for maintenance. Obviously I WON'T grease the drylin bearings or rods, but what about the lead screws?

I use Lucas White Lithium Grease on my other printers:
https://www.amazon.com/Lucas-Oil-10533- ... B004X70LZA

DrBoz
Posts: 24
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:12 am

Re: TAZ 6 - no greasing required on ANY axis?

Post by DrBoz » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:30 am

I have two lulzbot minis and and a TAZ 6 is on the way. I never thought of greasing them, neither needed it. I think you should be fine.

ScottW
Posts: 452
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:00 pm

Re: TAZ 6 - no greasing required on ANY axis?

Post by ScottW » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:55 am

The threaded rods should periodically be wiped clean and given a light coat of silicone or lithium based grease.

Per Lulzbot: https://www.lulzbot.com/maintaining-your-3d-printer

zorrobyte
Posts: 40
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:23 am

Re: TAZ 6 - no greasing required on ANY axis?

Post by zorrobyte » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:47 pm

ScottW wrote:The threaded rods should periodically be wiped clean and given a light coat of silicone or lithium based grease.

Per Lulzbot: https://www.lulzbot.com/maintaining-your-3d-printer
Bang on, much appreciated!

Brent.I
Aleph Objects | LulzBot
Posts: 509
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:21 am

Re: TAZ 6 - no greasing required on ANY axis?

Post by Brent.I » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:06 pm

Just as a note, the lithium grease was recommended on the TAZ 4 Z axis lead screws. We have since redesigned the X end motor and Idler, and have found it is not necessary.

However, it will not hurt anything if you would like to add it to your TAZ 6 Z axis lead screws. As you noted, just keep it off of the smooth rods as it will greatly reduce the life of the self lubricating bushings.

pyrokld
Posts: 58
Joined: Sun Dec 25, 2016 7:57 pm

Re: TAZ 6 - no greasing required on ANY axis?

Post by pyrokld » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:57 pm

Brent.I wrote:Just as a note, the lithium grease was recommended on the TAZ 4 Z axis lead screws. We have since redesigned the X end motor and Idler, and have found it is not necessary.

However, it will not hurt anything if you would like to add it to your TAZ 6 Z axis lead screws. As you noted, just keep it off of the smooth rods as it will greatly reduce the life of the self lubricating bushings.
So I went a little crazy and slathered silcone grease all over every bit of exposed metal on things that moved on my printer... but have since wiped it down but there is clearly some still in the bushing. Should I just pop a new set in now or wait until I end up with artifacts?

Brent.I
Aleph Objects | LulzBot
Posts: 509
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:21 am

Re: TAZ 6 - no greasing required on ANY axis?

Post by Brent.I » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:42 am

pyrokld wrote:So I went a little crazy and slathered silcone grease all over every bit of exposed metal on things that moved on my printer... but have since wiped it down but there is clearly some still in the bushing. Should I just pop a new set in now or wait until I end up with artifacts?
Well, no need to fix anything until it is broken. I would highly suggest having the spare bushings on hand for when they do need to be replaced. With the grease on there, they will need to be replaced at some point.
Last edited by Brent.I on Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: too many howevers

zorrobyte
Posts: 40
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:23 am

Re: TAZ 6 - no greasing required on ANY axis?

Post by zorrobyte » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:23 pm

pyrokld wrote:
Brent.I wrote:Just as a note, the lithium grease was recommended on the TAZ 4 Z axis lead screws. We have since redesigned the X end motor and Idler, and have found it is not necessary.

However, it will not hurt anything if you would like to add it to your TAZ 6 Z axis lead screws. As you noted, just keep it off of the smooth rods as it will greatly reduce the life of the self lubricating bushings.
So I went a little crazy and slathered silcone grease all over every bit of exposed metal on things that moved on my printer... but have since wiped it down but there is clearly some still in the bushing. Should I just pop a new set in now or wait until I end up with artifacts?
It'll just cause accelerated wear on the dry bushings, but even then it may very well be a long time for them to wear. An extra pair is always handy to have on hand though.

Post Reply