Bubbles Under Brand New Heated Beds (Yes Plural)

A forum dedicated to the stock LulzBot TAZ 3D Printer
sneaks

Bubbles Under Brand New Heated Beds (Yes Plural)

Post by sneaks » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:37 pm

I recently had to order a new heated bed for my TAZ 6. So far, I have ordered from Amazon three different times and they have all arrived with issues. First one arrived shattered, second and third ones arrived with bubbles under the PEI (see attached pics).

I've only been using PEI for a year and a half and the original bed that came with my TAZ 6 didn't have a single bubble under the PEI for over over 6 months of use. My expectation is that a brand new bed should look like the one that originally came on it. Are my expectations set too high? Is the attached picture look like a brand new bed should?

Before anyone says contact Lulzbot - I did. Their solution was to send me PEI and have me replace it. On a six month old bed I would accept this solution, but on a brand new $160 bed, I feel it should arrive ready to go out of the box.
Attachments
IMG_1111 (1).JPG

msegurah

Re: Bubbles Under Brand New Heated Beds (Yes Plural)

Post by msegurah » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:48 pm

My Lulzbots Taz 6 is new, have used it for 2-3 prints only and I'm seeing lots of bubbles in the bed.
Will be sending support team a note with details to check what are their recommendations.

kcchen_00

Post by kcchen_00 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:20 pm

If the fulfillment is through Amazon, then they could be storing improperly.

I'd return, get a refund and order direct from Lulzbot.

sneaks

Post by sneaks » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:44 pm

kcchen_00 wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:20 pm
I'd return, get a refund and order direct from Lulzbot.
I have two more coming from Amazon Friday - Hopefully one of them is good. If not, I agree I may have no other choice than to get one from Lulzbot and hope it doesn't have the same issue.

sneaks

Post by sneaks » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:29 pm

2 more beds arrived today (#4 and #5) - both did the same thing. I took a time lapse video showing what happens: https://www.dropbox.com/s/94s2n3foiq3pk ... 5.mpg?dl=0

The way the bubbles are all around the edges would make you think something is tweaking the glass, however, the washers are not tightened down that much. Is there anyway to make sure my bed isn't tweaked? Does anyone know where I can find the torque settings on the washer screws? I looked at https://ohai.lulzbot.com/ but the most I found was "DON'T OVERTIGHTEN!"

I'm running out of ideas.

sneaks

Post by sneaks » Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:35 pm

Issue solved...

The reason I bought an entire bed vs replacing the PEI sheet was because I had a chunk out of my original bed. Since I couldn't get a quality OEM bed after 5 tries, I decided I'd try to find a solution with my old bed. After I took the old PEI off, the glass was perfect. Turns out the chunk was in the PEI only; it looked worse than it was. Yesterday I had Amazon overnight me a $22 1mm Gizmo Dorks PEI sheet with adhesive and put it on my bed. This PEI sheet is amazing - I only have one print in, but it seems far superior to the OEM PEI. http://a.co/9euijmK

Here is my first print, not a single bubble: https://www.dropbox.com/s/coh9ezzra4vhr ... 9.mpg?dl=0

kmanley57

Post by kmanley57 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:30 pm

It looks like the adhesive was not baked to remove any moisture in it. So it steams out and causes gas bubbles.
I will express my CRAZY ideas at any time! So you have been warned. None of my opinions are Lulzbots and can be wrong at any second.

sneaks

Post by sneaks » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:05 pm

kmanley57 wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:30 pm
It looks like the adhesive was not baked to remove any moisture in it. So it steams out and causes gas bubbles.
That makes total sense and would explain it. Hopefully Lulzbot is reading these forums...

ScottW

Post by ScottW » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:53 pm

sneaks wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:05 pm
That makes total sense and would explain it. Hopefully Lulzbot is reading these forums...
While it is a published part of Lulzbot's procedure to bake the sheets and adhesive -- I think they have either stopped doing it, or changed to shorter bake time, or aren't storing them right afterwards, or something....

When I received my two-piece bed for the mini a few months ago, the same thing happened: Both beds (I ordered 2 glass/pei sheets for the modular bed) looked perfect until it heated up, then tons of tiny bubbles formed within minutes. Definitely not as bad as yours, the bubbles were smaller, but still not right. I complained and sent photos, so they sent a replacement sheets for *ME* to install. Ok, I ate the labor to remove and re-install, and guess what? The replacements did the exact same thing -- they looked perfect until the first heat to 100c, then hundreds of bubbles immediately formed all over the sheet.

I plan on giving the GizmoDorks 1mm sheet a try when I get ready to replace again.

sneaks

Post by sneaks » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:02 pm

ScottW wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:53 pm

While it is a published part of Lulzbot's procedure to bake the sheets and adhesive -- I think they have either stopped doing it, or changed to shorter bake time, or aren't storing them right afterwards, or something....

When I received my two-piece bed for the mini a few months ago, the same thing happened: Both beds (I ordered 2 glass/pei sheets for the modular bed) looked perfect until it heated up, then tons of tiny bubbles formed within minutes. Definitely not as bad as yours, the bubbles were smaller, but still not right. I complained and sent photos, so they sent a replacement sheets for *ME* to install. Ok, I ate the labor to remove and re-install, and guess what? The replacements did the exact same thing -- they looked perfect until the first heat to 100c, then hundreds of bubbles immediately formed all over the sheet.

I plan on giving the GizmoDorks 1mm sheet a try when I get ready to replace again.
Lulzbot support has historically been great for me, however this issue has taken them down a couple of notches. Their responsiveness was quick, but their offered solutions were the same as yours - sending me a new PEI sheet. I couldn't bring myself to invest so much time repairing a brand new bed I just spent $160 dollars on.

In the end though, I am glad things happened the way they did, I absolutely love my 1mm Gizmo Dorks PEI bed.

How do you like the Modular bed upgrade?