The First Layer

Hi all,
Just wondering about the first layer on this Taz platform. I am coming to the Taz from a Prusa printer with different size filament and nozzle. The first layer on that machine is, like all of them, very important and dialing it in to perfection means eliminating any gaps that exist in the first layer as it is layed down by adjusting the Live-Z and going from there. I have seen numerous pictures since I purchased the Taz where the first layer from this machine is listed as great when it still shows gaps in the first layer that is put down. I have also seen pictures and comments that show a flat first layer on the Taz described as too “squished” which on the Prusa I would consider almost perfect. My Taz was shipped from the factory at 1.630 on the Z offset, I print PLA with it at 1.750 to get a first layer that is void of any gaps like I would on my Prusa machine. Now it has me wondering, is the first layer quality on a Taz different? Should it not be so squished? Are gaps between lines on the first layer acceptable on a first layer print from the machine? Any help and pictures of your first layers you consider perfect would be awesome.

Thanks

The first layer is really a personal preference. I personally like it completely flat with little to no extrusion spacing visible on my TAZ5. Most would consider that too close for the initial nozzle height, and prints are difficult to remove the print from the PEI bed without a proper spatula tool.

Here are few other factors to consider for the first layer:

• Most important thing about first layer is adhesion. Better adhesion will be achieved with more squash -> lower initial nozzle height. But too close and it will create too much adhesion.
  • Completely flat first layer could make the print difficult to remove from the print bed
  • Avoid “elephants foot” - if you strive for a completely flat fist layer flaring of the first layer would indicate that you’re possibly too close, or too high a flow rate/multiplier.
  • With some slicers, the flow rate for the fist layer can be controlled to create a flat surface. I use 125% in S3D and adjust my Z to get the smoothness of the bottom surface.

With the TAZ, print removal is optimal when bed has cooled below 60C. 50C is the ideal and recommended temp.

That may not have answered your question, but hope the insight helps to acquaint yourself to the TAZ.

So in this picture is this considered a good first layer? I say no. I think the nozzle is too close to the printbed but…

Backing the z offset and raising the nozzle creates gaps in the first layer in between each line printed. So is it a slicer issue? Or am I doing something else wrong.

Sorry just confused and trying to max this thing out.

Thanks

I think its fine… it may be underextruding a bit if anything.

Try increasing the flow rate or multiplier for the first layer through your slicing software.

Ultimately, the first layer may boil down to adhesion of the project to the bed. ABS and Nylon are notorious for contracting as the filament cools… which causes warping. For those filaments, you’ll want a closer z-offset.