Taz5 won’t pre-heat

:confused:
I just got my hands on this Taz5 and some filament to test it out.
It came with a Dual Extruder v2. I’ve downloded Cura LulzBot Edition, set it up, sliced a file…

When it starts the print it homes, levels, says “heating” on the LCD for less than 30 seconds and starts “printing”

Hotend and Bed are both cold. Any suggestions would help. Thanks!

Could you give a bit more description of the printer behavior when ti starts printing? Even better would be a video of the printer starting a print.
In general there is a limit in the firmware that should prevent the extruder gear from turning if the toolhead is cold. (Though the rest of the printer would still go through it’s motions so it may appear that it was printing.)
The first thing that jumps to mind here is something going on with the firmware. When you installed Cura LE did you make sure to select the Taz 5 Dual Extruder V2 printer profile and then flash the firmware on the printer to ensure it had up to date firmware for running with the newest version of Cura? If you’re not sure we can check the firmware on your printer by connecting it to Cura and opening the Monitor section then selecting the Console button from the bar along the right side of the page. In the new window that open you will want to type or copy paste M115 into the bottom text entry box then hit enter. Take a screenshot of the resulting block of text and post that here so I can have a look at what firmware is currently installed on your printer.

Hey there I’m not the OP but I’m having very similar issues.

M115 output
FIRMWARE_NAME:Marlin FIRMWARE_VERSION:1.1.9.16 EXTRUDER_TYPE:DualExtruder v2 SOURCE_CODE_URL:https://code.alephobjects.com/diffusion/MARLIN PROTOCOL_VERSION:1.0 MACHINE_TYPE:LulzBot TAZ 5 EXTRUDER_COUNT:2
UUID:scrubbed
< [17:44:51] Cap:SERIAL_XON_XOFF:0
< [17:44:51] Cap:EEPROM:1
< [17:44:51] Cap:VOLUMETRIC:1
< [17:44:51] Cap:AUTOREPORT_TEMP:1
< [17:44:51] Cap:PROGRESS:0
< [17:44:51] Cap:PRINT_JOB:1
< [17:44:51] Cap:AUTOLEVEL:0
< [17:44:51] Cap:Z_PROBE:0
< [17:44:51] Cap:LEVELING_DATA:0
< [17:44:51] Cap:BUILD_PERCENT:1
< [17:44:51] Cap:SOFTWARE_POWER:0
< [17:44:51] Cap:TOGGLE_LIGHTS:0
< [17:44:51] Cap:CASE_LIGHT_BRIGHTNESS:0
< [17:44:51] Cap:EMERGENCY_PARSER:1
< [17:44:51] Cap:AUTOREPORT_SD_STATUS:0
< [17:44:51] Cap:THERMAL_PROTECTION:1

Cura LE 3.2.27

What it’s doing:

1. Click Start print
  2. Homes to 0,0,0
  3. LCD says heating > 10 seconds later > it moves to centre of bed to begin printing. Note: I have the console open and it suggests “Cold extrusion prevented”
  4. Extruder 2 preheating to 170 (170 happens to be the standby temperature according to the materials profile), Extruder 1 temp appears to be 0, Bed appears to be 0

The material is configured for ABS, 240/100.

Another note: the computer I’m using may have multiple users, does multiple installations of CURA confuse the profiles? I’ve already tried to purge all settings of previous versions of CURA though.

Replying to my own post, I sliced the inner/outter square from lulzbot setup site using CURA Ultimaker and it’s now preheating fine, printing great too.

Anything wrong with Lulzbot version of CURA? I’m suspecting the starting gcode for CURA LE is not right…

EDIT: Removing the starting gcode from CURA LE didn’t help.

I just created a Taz 5 dual V2 file and found this for no heating:

M117 Heating… ; progress indicator message on LCD
M109 R{material_print_temperature_0} ; wait for extruder 1 to reach printing temp
M109 R[material_print_temperature_1} ; wait for extruder 2 to reach printing temp
M190 S{material_bed_temperature_layer_0} ; wait for bed to reach printing temp
G1 Z15.0 F{speed_travel} ;move the platform down 15mm

The variables do not seem to be populated with values.

Version 3.2.30 Cura LE

Maybe check to see if yours has the actual temps where they belong. YMMV.

That start GCode is actually totally normal, the bracketed temperature area is telling the software to check with the print setup settings and pull whatever value is being used in that area to use when creating the GCode your printer will actually run off of.

It would be, but that actually is part of the Saved GCode file it is wanting to send to the printer.

Latest version: 3.2.32 Taz 5

M109 R{material_print_temperature_0} ; wait for extruder 1 to reach printing temp
M109 R[material_print_temperature_1} ; wait for extruder 2 to reach printing temp
M190 S{material_bed_temperature_layer_0} ; wait for bed to reach printing temp
G1 Z15.0 F{speed_travel} ;move the platform down 15mm
T1 ;Switch to the 2nd extruder

Error in the start gcode for the Taz 5 Dual V2.

With the correct bracket:

M109 R190 ; wait for extruder 1 to reach printing temp
M109 R190 ; wait for extruder 2 to reach printing temp
M105; ; wait for bed to reach printing temp
G1 Z15.0 F175 ;move the platform down 15mm
T1 ;Switch to the 2nd extruder

I don’t have the exact gcode on me right now but I replaced the square bracket with a { and for the M commands you need to specify your extruders, once you do that it’s preheating like it should!

Nice find!

Oh I misunderstood you on that. Sorry for the unnecessary interjection. Good find!

Howdy All,

Sorry about the typo! We have this fixed up in Cura LE 3.2.32, and hope to have the stable release out in ~1 week.