Taz 3 showing error mintemp

I have a Taz3 while printing with PLA the filament stopped flowing when i looked at the extruder temp it had fallen down to 75c and had a error message at the bottom of the screen saying “err mintemp” I have no power to the extruder and cannot use the preheat setting. does anyone have an idea what might be wrong?

The thermistor either came loose from the control board, has a wire break, or the thermistor has failed in the hot end. If you are still in warranty you may want to contact customer support to see if they can walk you through finding the issue and getting a replacement part if necessary.

I realized as I was trying to troubleshoot the problem that i had the thermistor unplugged and it gave me this error. The error cleared up when i plugged it back in. I still have a problem with the extruder not heating up. I have a voltage from 8.3volts to 10.3 volts on the extruder connections on the rambo board do you know what these readings are supposed to be? I thought it should be higher.

Check to see if the power resistor is open.

Do you have access to a multimeter? If so, with the printer turned off and unplugged disconnect the hot end from the wiring harness and test hot end for the proper resistance. The smaller orange wires are for the thermistor and should read ~100k at room temperature. The larger red wires are connected to the heater resistor and should read between ~4-7 Ohm. After measuring the resistances, test again while moving the wires slightly to see if that impacts the resistance measurements.

If the resistance readings you measure are close to the above ranges then the hot end is fine. You’ll then want to look at the two connectors on the hot end, to ensure that they’re fully seated. The error you encountered occurs when the printer loses the connection to the thermistor.

FYI: I deleted the other duplicate post in the “User’s Gallery” forum and moved all responses here to this thread.

I have a Taz 6; the resistance to my heater resistor is 19.6 ohm - is this indicative of a broken component?

The TAZ 3 and the TAZ 6 use different heater components. A reading of 19.6ohm is spot on for the 24v 30w heater cartridge used in the standard TAZ 6

Awesome thank you! do you know what the resistance values are for a taz 6 flexystruder v2 thermistor and heater?

They are the same as the Taz 6 standard extruder. ~20 ohms for the heat cartridge and ~100,000 for the thermistor. :nerd:

Thank you!! So does the mintemp error only occur with an “error” value in the thermistor voltage/resistance input? or could it also arise from other input sources showing “error” values (such as the heater cartridge wires, fan wires, stepper wires etc.)?

I believe the Taz thermistors are a NTC or “Negitive Temperature Coefficient” thermistor, which means resistance would decrease as the temperature applied to the thermistor increases. So a persistant mintemp error would possibly indicate a resistor that was completely broken, offering infinite resistance. The error could be the thermistor itself, or the wiring harness, or possibly the Rambo board. All the other pieces play no role in that. I suppose you also could have the value incorrect in firmware, but not if you are running stock firmware.

Dude you are way the hell past wizard. Thank you!! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Glad I could help!

Turns out replacing the temperature sensor fixed everything perfectly! Back to cranking out an endless array of ultra-sweet custom 3D objects again!! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: