Problem with replacement single extruder toolhead

A forum dedicated to the stock LulzBot TAZ 3D Printer
Post Reply
ebolton
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:58 pm

Problem with replacement single extruder toolhead

Post by ebolton » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:34 am

I bought a replacement toolhead on Amazon after a user error caused the hot end and quite a bit higher to be encased in a huge blob of nylon.

I noticed right off the bat the left and right fan ducts on the new toolhead were not mirror images of each other. I chalked it up to some engineering optimization, and installed the toolhead.

What I didn't notice at first is the left fan duct hung lower than the nozzle. The right fan duct didn't. That caused the left duct to crash on the bed. The poor machine was still struggling to print as I aborted it.

Since it was obvious what was wrong after a good look, I decided to swap out the left fan duct with my old one. Even though that old duct was partially melted, it solved the problem. It's printing fine right now as I type this.

I urge people to be aware and critical when looking and Lulzbot OEM replacements and upgrades. I don't think my problem was a design flaw since I can't imagine they would ever have designed the ducts this way. I believe it is a Manufacturing/QA problem. I believe somebody just assembled the toolhead with the wrong part.

-Ed

ebolton
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:58 pm

Re: Problem with replacement single extruder toolhead

Post by ebolton » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:05 pm

Image

User avatar
piercet
Posts: 3999
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:37 am
Location: Battleground, WA
Contact:

Re: Problem with replacement single extruder toolhead

Post by piercet » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:57 pm

Yeah, that's not the correct duct.

Post Reply