TAZ Very loose Solid rod bearings?

A forum dedicated to the stock LulzBot TAZ 3D Printer
Rp1030

Re: TAZ Very loose Solid rod bearings?

Post by Rp1030 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:24 am

I have also found a bit of play on my x axis solid rod bearings. I don't know if or how it affects my prints yet but I am curious, for those who have tried. Have there been any significant improvements after changing to the Hardened Steel Rods / Bearings?

nopick

Post by nopick » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:33 am

My experience was the hardened rods and metal bearings took out the wiggle but imparted a texture to my prints. I have moved on to piercet's openbuilds mods on X and Y. HUGE improvement! I highly recommend openbuilds over hardened rods. The openbuilds mods also take out all of the rod flex on the x axis.

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:43 am

You may also try other bushes, I will change to RJUM-01-10, see also here. I will do a comparison when I have them.

FCLOWELL

Post by FCLOWELL » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:46 am

I have read several comments about loose bearings and problem with extruder vibration. It seems to me that if the center of gravity of the entire print head assy could be determined in 3 dimensions, (requires removal), then a counterweight could be fabricated and mounted on the opposite (back) side of the rails. The counterweight does not have to be very heavy; if for example the moving extruder assy weighs 1 lb, and the center of gravity is 1.5 inches in front of the belt attachment point, then a 1/4 lb counterweight cantileverd 6 inches behind the moving extruder assy, opposite the center of gravity, then there would be no twisting moments created by acceleration in the X direction.

Is this feasible?
Pete

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:26 pm

Try it and report here ;)
But I think it may introduce new vibrations if you get no super-stiff connection..Like the rods itself acts as springs.