TAZ4 bed not flat?

A forum dedicated to the stock LulzBot TAZ 3D Printer
tgreer

TAZ4 bed not flat?

Post by tgreer » Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:22 pm

Hi folks
I'm slowly fixing up a TAZ4, having finally got it all operational with a new hot end I decided to start looking at calibration.

Im noticing that the bed is higher in the middle than it is at the 4 corners. I've tried adjusting all the corners but that only changed the tilt, doesn't change the fact that the Z calibration is bang on in the middle but terrible as it gets closer to the corners.

Any pointers?

nopick

Re: TAZ4 bed not flat?

Post by nopick » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:10 am

The toolhead actually twists the X smooth rods when it is in the center, causing the nozzle to be closer to the bed. The Taz 6 corrected this with larger smooth rods.

Just get the corners to an acceptable level of squish and live with extra squish in the middle. You can arrive at a happy middle ground that works.

Swapping the toolhead for a Titan or Titan Aero unit reduces the problem by reducing toolhead weight.

tgreer

Post by tgreer » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:15 pm

nopick wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:10 am
The toolhead actually twists the X smooth rods when it is in the center, causing the nozzle to be closer to the bed. The Taz 6 corrected this with larger smooth rods.

Just get the corners to an acceptable level of squish and live with extra squish in the middle. You can arrive at a happy middle ground that works.

Swapping the toolhead for a Titan or Titan Aero unit reduces the problem by reducing toolhead weight.
I've already got an aerostruder on it. Are the TAZ6 rods a direct drop in or is there more to it than that?

nopick

Post by nopick » Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:50 am

With an Aerostruder in place, you should be good to go. That is if everything else is in good shape/factory specs. Does it have a stock heat bed and glass?

You would need new X end parts to accommodate the larger diameter smooth rods from Taz 6. I am sure it could be done but if you are going that far, just install piercet's openbuilds X and Y and live a happy life. That is the best mod around for the earlier Taz models.

tagscott

Post by tagscott » Wed May 01, 2019 7:49 am

I had similar issues with my Kittaz. I printed the Taz 6 parts and bought new 12mm rods and bearings to upgrade. The only addition you need is a replacement way to zero the z axis. I used a inductive sensor in a custom printed bracket on the x carriage.