How to calibrate moto steps on Taz6?

I printed a calibration cube (https://forum.lulzbot.com/t/calibration-cube-taz6/6342/1) and while the scaling has been helpful it is not a permanent solution. So I wanna know how to calibrate the steps per mm on the Taz 6

If you are talking about the x, y and z steps / mm then I did mine a similar way you do the extruder. For the x I move it a little to the right of the left endstop and place a piece of tape on the top linear rod, then command the x to the right 100mm front the display and take a measurement. Follow the same type of formula used for calibrating e-steps… Current steps / mm for that axis * 100 and then divide by the actual distance moved and that will give you the corrected steps / mm. Do the same for y and z. For the extruder it’s easier to measure 120mm of filament from the end of the lever you latch down that the filament goes through the notch…be sure the extruder is heated up to the high temperature range of the filament you have in it so it’s more fluid, then extrude 100mm of filament. Then you measure the distance from the latch to the sharpie mark on the filament to figure out how much was actually extruded.

So, if you have 15mm distance from the latch to the sharpie mark that means it extruded 105mm of filament so your formula would be current e-steps * 100 and then divide by 105 to give the new value.

Once you figure all the values out you can adjust them through the display on the taz. Be sure to save them after you enter them.

I hope this helps.

Hello.
I am trying to get my Taz 6 dialed in.

While I have been happily using it for several years, I have never really “dialed it in”.
Meaning, since I am new to CAD and model design, if a measurement was off when I was designing a product, I would adjust in CAD, and print the adjusted file to accommodate for the 1 to 2 MM differences across a print.

However, since I am trying to print a interface to use a DeWalt battery, I have tried several times with expanding the model, etc., and cannot get it to fit on the battery.

After talking with a few friends that have successfully printed the exact .stl on their printer, another friend recommended that I try the calibration print.

The above link is supposed to be 20x20x20 mm.
I found that the actual print was 20.5x20.55x20.45 mm. Not a huge deal, but I thought I’d try to make it better.

Using the (e/o) x s - meaning expected (20 mm) divided by observed (20.5) multiplied by current steps per mm, it gave me a new value for my steps per mm.

So, I decided to change the “steps per mm” on X, Y, and Z axis.

The problem is now the “print bed” seems to appear smaller to Cura / Lulzbot. When it goes through its normal routine of bed leveling, and touching the switch and then washers in each corner, it is not able to “reach” to the front left washer.

So, I started working the values back to where it can barely touch the washers, but the end result of the print only seems to be degraded from what the original - slightly off in measurements - print was.

My original settings were:

X=100.50
Y=100.50
Z=1600.0
E=806 (recently calibrated with the 100 mm procedure - and changed from original setting of 830)

New settings were calculated to be:
X=98.05
Y=97.81
Z=1564.79

However, with the X and Y set with these values, the printer halts due to it not sensing the front left corner being touched - it is about 3 mm from being able to do so.

So, I changed the settings to X=99.8 Y=99.8 and Z=1564.49. While the printer does complete its bed level routine, the print seemed to be “over saturated” and looked degraded from the starting point.

Moving the settings to X=100 Y=100 and Z=1564.79, it looked a little better, but all along, the size is not changing. I am still seeing the same measurements of the first print, just variations in the end result print quality.

Should I put the steps / mm values back to the original, and start with the Z offset?
I have not touched that yet.

Thank you for your help!

I just wanted to update. I remeasured the last sample print, and there was a slight improvement from the original settings. So, it while it looks like it is helping, just not enough.

Still thinking something needs to be reset for proper bed leveling - after the properly calculated values are set in steps / mm?