TAZ PRO

Have a TAZ PRO that I am trying to use with Simplify3D.
I need to enter the extruder offset to get accurate profile set up in S3D.
That information was available for the dual extruder tool head on my Taz 6 but I cannot find it anywhere.
Does anyone have this info or know where I can get it?

Through your LCD screen go to Menu > Advanced Settings > Nozzle Offset. This will report X, Y, and Z offsets as currently set.

Are you using the dual extruder profile in Simplyfy3D or is there a Taz Pro printer available? Thanks!

When I wanted to use S3D with my TAZ 6 Dual Extruder V3 I had to add it as a custom printer. This involved creating a profile including (modified) start code and end code.

For the TAZ 6, CuraLE generates G-Code that has the offset for the second nozzle (or the offsets for both nozzles) handled within CuraLE. S3D (by default) leaves the offset(s) to be handled by the firmware (using the M218 command to set them).

In order to print parts sliced by either slicer in any order, I added an M218 T1 X0 Y0 command to the CuraLE start code and then put an M218 T1 X13 Y0 command into my modified S3D start code.

I’m not sure how the TAZ Pro nozzle offset(s) (and the raise and lower part) are handled in CuraLE but if it is in the slicer like it is for the TAZ 6, then the printer definition should include the offset(s) you need. If, on the other hand, the firmware is in charge, then take a look at the .config file for the version of firmware in the TAZ Pro at http://devel.lulzbot.com/software/Marlin/.

I think this is the answer:

#define HOTEND_OFFSET_X {0.0, 43}
#define HOTEND_OFFSET_Y {0.0, 0}

Thanks for your replies.
Was able to confirm the proper nozzle offset and entered it in S3d. So far so good!

Do you mind sharing your settings? Did you create a new profile or pick from an existing TAZ model? Bed size and nozzle wipe positions are all new - wondering what you used. Thank you!

Hey Elfa45, it would be great help if you can share your settings. I want to try S3d with TAZ Pro as well.

Hey,

S3D sent me a profile when I asked them if Taz Pro was compatible. I do not have printer to try it on, as I am looking into buying it now. I can send you the profile if you would like with the directions they sent me. Then you can try it and let me know how it works?

I was reading an article on the g-code variables supported by Simplify3D (one of their blogs). It wasn’t really a proper reference or anything so they may not have covered everything they can support.

But… what I was looking for were the variables that control things like ‘soften’ temperature, ‘wipe’ temperature, and ‘probe’ temperature.

Prior to probing for bed level, the nozzle needs to be clean. The LulzBot provided start g-code fetches some variables from the ‘Quality’ profiles for your material … to get the ‘Soften’ temperature, ‘Wipe’ temperature, and ‘Probe’ temperature. These are used to clean the nozzle prior to probing for level. E.g. it heats to ‘soften’ temp, retracts a bit of filament, cools to ‘wiping’ temp (warm enough that the material should still be able to be wiped off the nozzle… it wont have hardened at this temp but it isn’t hot enough that it easily oozes) wipes, then cools to probe temp (cool enough for material to re-harden so that it wont ooze during bed-level probing.) But these are all based on the material and quality profiles in Cura … change to a different type of material and these change to match the material – you don’t need to manually edit the start g-code because they have variables in the start code which are substituted for the correct values.

When I look at the Simplify3D variables (those that I could find) they seemed to support things like the material printing temperature and the material printing temperature for the first layer … but I couldn’t find anything that would support other temperatures.

This suggested (to me) that I’d have to hard-code these things in the start g-code and if I change materials, I would need to edit the start g-code with new values.

If Simplify3D provided you with sample start g-code for the TAZ Pro, I’d love to have a look at it and see what they are doing. Do you have a Google Drive or DropBox where you can share the file?

Simplify3D (S3D) doesn’t have as many variables as CuraLE (and despite multiple requests in their forums, doesn’t publish a list of what they do have).

Instead of hard-coding the probe, wipe, and soften temperatures, you could use a post processing script to replace some symbols in the start gcode with either a function of a variable you do have (i.e. [extruder0_temperature]) or you could use the comments S3D can output at the beginning of the gcode file (i.e. ; printMaterial,PLA) as an index into an array.

If you don’t have a lot of different materials, another option is to define multiple printers in S3D, one for each material, and then you can have different hard-coded values in the start gcode.

1 Like

Yup, I was the first person to use S3D with a Taz Pro. The profile they send you for the Pro is the one I bumbled through to create. I found it to be nowhere near as good as Cura LE in the end and haven’t touched it since APRIL 2019.

I quit using S3D because it hasn’t update in 4 years. Even Cura is better print quality now. Back in the day I couldn’t get anything but blobs out of Cura.

The S3D team were suppose to send everyone an email about v5 back in December. I never got one. Really sad because they use to have the killer product.