I think I fried my Taz 6 -- help!

I had my Taz 6 powered up and the nozzle hot, and used a brass wire brush to clean gunk off the nozzle. When I did, something apparently shorted out at the nozzle and the screen went blank. The on/off switch still lights up when I turn the machine on, but there are no other signs of life. Is there a fuse or breaker (or even power supply) inside that I might be able to replace, or am I looking at sending it in to Lulzbot for repair. I’m reasonably handy with electronics but never dug into the Taz. It’s been a workhorse for me for a couple years now, and instantly miss it. :frowning:

If you shorted the heater cartridge, it might have taken out the F3 fuse. I have heard of folks killing the board as a whole using a brush while the printer is powered on. Try using green or blue scotchbrite instead.

https://reprap.org/wiki/File:Ramb1-2-fuses.jpg

Thanks for that reply. After posting here, it occurred to me to just call Lulzbot support, and they were great! No phone tree, no scripted call-center nonsense, no “ticket” – just a knowledgeable person who listened to my story, sized up the likely issue (the fuse) and sent me the info needed to diagnose it and get a replacement fuse. The whole call took maybe 2 or 3 minutes. Way to go Lulzbot! The Taz 6 has already proven itself to be wildly better than my former MakerBot, but little did I know the its support was equally superior. MakerBot charged me $100 to open a support ticket, then took two weeks to determine the firmware that shipped new with the machine made it a brick. They emailed me a firmware update and kept the $100. So happy to learn Lulzbot support it the exact opposite! :slight_smile:

I’ve protected myself from these potential shorts by adding some high temperature silicone (Permatex Red RTV High Temp Gasket Maker #81160) to the wires as they enter the heater block.