[Dual Extruder v3] Filament Stops Feeding, Ruins Print, Can't get out Easily

A forum dedicated to the stock LulzBot TAZ 3D Printer
casey

[Dual Extruder v3] Filament Stops Feeding, Ruins Print, Can't get out Easily

Post by casey » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:36 am

I have recently installed and started using the dual extruder with my Taz 6 and I have been having many issues with it. The only time I have been able to get a successful print was with the sample filament and support filament that was given with the shipment. The filament that I have is Polylite PLA and is the same dimensions as the sample filament given. In the beginning of my print today (no support filament, just using one extruder), everything seemed to run correctly, but after laying down multiple layers, it seems that the filament will stop feeding. After this, the print is ruined. I am not sure what I am supposed to do about this issue because after this occurs I cannot get the filament out easily despite heating the nozzle. It seems like I have to open up the extruder and get it out that way. I am cutting the filament the same way that the dual extruder v3 installation guide suggests, but this issue persists. Has anyone had a similar issue with this? If so, how did you solve it? This is getting to be a pain.

JoeBowler300

Re: [Dual Extruder v3] Filament Stops Feeding, Ruins Print, Can't get out Easily

Post by JoeBowler300 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:57 pm

Heat creep is horrendous on the dual v3 and PLA. Recently for the first time I’ve had to take apart the head to get the filament out. But first try this if you can still grab onto the filament from the top where it feeds. Heat up the Extruder to about 180, put a card over the front fan that’s attached to the heat sink, you want the heat to travel up a little bit. Remove the screw that pinches the filament that feeds the head. Keep an upward pulling force (doesn’t have to be a lot) on the filament, if the heat travels up enough where the filament is probably stuck on the heater block it should pull right out.

If you don’t have enough filament to pull you may have to disassemble the head. If you do be careful with the wires, they are tightly packed and may be somewhat brittle from the heat, my thermistor wire (blue rope like coating) freyed and started causing a E2 err max temp error.

kcchen_00

Re: [Dual Extruder v3] Filament Stops Feeding, Ruins Print, Can't get out Easily

Post by kcchen_00 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:01 pm

To remove ABS filament, I usually extrude 5-10mm then retract out of the extruder body. It might work for PLA also. You may need to help it by pushing the filament or pulling to get past the portion that's been ground out by the gear.

Somewhere within the extruder, the filament path must expand. When heated, the filament swells before it melts. The swelled filament can't be retracted... it needs to be extruded then retracted.

Hope that helps... or leads you to a solution.

b-morgan

Post by b-morgan » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:01 am

I haven't had to disassemble my Dual Extruder V3 (yet) but I've had some "close calls", and blocking the front fan saved me.

I decided to be proactive about preventing heat creep and so I printed and installed https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3213878. You have to be careful with the wires but I was able to use the stock fan with just a bit of wire rerouting. You should print it in the highest temperature filament you have. I printed mine in PETG instead of ABS. If printed in PLA, be careful with using the "block the front fan" technique.

Pooley

Post by Pooley » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:45 pm

I feel your pain Casey. The lulzbot r & d people must be frustrated as well. I have 2 Taz 6 printers with excactly the same dual extruder config, using the same material, they both get thier gcode files from the same pc and they are side by side in the same room. One of the has printed for 10 days straight without a glitch, the other won't even make it through the day? I think that maybe it's a control board issue as I have swapped over tool heads and I thought I had some success, but alas no, same printer different tool head same problem.
Attachments
IMG_4704.JPG
My good printer
IMG_4703.JPG
My sad printer

Keebie81

Post by Keebie81 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:47 am

The heatsink fan on the dual extruder is garbage. Replace it with this one from Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072Q ... UTF8&psc=1) I did that and have had no failures or jamming since. You will also need longer bolts for the fan though. 2 M3x70mm and 2 M3x40mm

casey

Post by casey » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:55 am

Keebie81 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:47 am
The heatsink fan on the dual extruder is garbage. Replace it with this one from Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072Q ... UTF8&psc=1) I did that and have had no failures or jamming since. You will also need longer bolts for the fan though. 2 M3x70mm and 2 M3x40mm
How long did these issues occur for you? I am looking in to getting that fan, but I just wanted a little bit more information.

B-Hep-Spring

Post by B-Hep-Spring » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:42 pm

I have the dual head and find this interesting the fan you make a link for is 5v I assume the stock fan is 5v also and its just a direct swap.. other than the bolt issue...

B-Hep-Spring

Post by B-Hep-Spring » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:51 pm

looked on the shop - spec its 5v will order today thanks for the head up