[AO-100] Infill strands lifting or missing

A forum dedicated to the stock LulzBot AO-101/AO-100 3D Printer
lotw

Re: [AO-100] Infill strands lifting or missing

Post by lotw » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:57 am

antfurn wrote:Yes that's what I did. Took the nozzle off and let it sit in acetone for an hour or more.
Use the pointy stick tool, supplied with the all the other tools, and picked out anything stuck inside.
I just scraped off the worst from the outside and gave it a quick sanding with fine sandpaper to get the rest off.

Don't sand the very tip though! That needs to be left as flat, level & smooth as possible. Only clean that with acetone.

2nd warning; the thread on the hot-end is way to easy to mess up. Follow the guides to nozzle changing and use plumbers tape when putting it back on.

Antony
If it is a bad jam like I had it took 8 hours in acetone to clean out, but after I did it worked better then it did when I received it.

I know the hot ends are not cheap, but I would recommend if you can afford it to purchase a spare, that way if it fails or jams again you can replace and keep your printer going while fixing it. I have a spare that I keep around with a 0.25mm nozzle on it and as was stated, use plumbers tape on the threads or you could mess up your threads and have to replace more than you wanted.

Gemini64

Post by Gemini64 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:18 pm

Still having problems with missing infill. What's odd is perimeters print without a hitch.

I removed the idler and tried pushing the filament through. I feel like it takes more force than it used to. So I think cleaning the nozzle is in order. Problem is I can't get it off. I heated the hot end to 100º as suggested in the manual, no luck. And I have a hard time locking the rectangular aluminum heater block. It looks like it expanded because the 18mm wrench barely fits. I can't slide the wrench over the block more than 5mm which does not leave much lever. So the wrench either slips or deforms the aluminum block which is softer than the wrench.

At this point I don't know what to do, ideas would be welcome.
lotw wrote:I know the hot ends are not cheap, but I would recommend if you can afford it to purchase a spare, that way if it fails or jams again you can replace and keep your printer going while fixing it.
I think it's good advice, as currently I'm unable to remove the nozzle to (possibly) solve my printing problem.

Bummer is, Lulzbot stopped selling the Budaschnozzle 1.1-3, and its nozzles are not compatible with the new v2.0. I'm gonna have to purchase new nozzles as well, and my 0.35 and 0.25 nozzles will be useless if I can't get the old one in working order again... :?
Last edited by Gemini64 on Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Gemini64

Post by Gemini64 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:41 pm

It looks like the G3D Buda-style hotend v1.2 has the same internal thread as the old style Budaschnozzle. It's cheaper too, but this has me concerned. Plus the guy from the shop said on the RepRap forum it needs a cooling fan on it. Couldn't find any feedback on it either.

jebba
Site Admin

Post by jebba » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:15 am

There's feedback on that Buda clone on the RepRap forums.

Gemini64

Post by Gemini64 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:15 pm

I didn't find much, just one guy who purchased one because yours were back order, and he had problems with it. It really needs a cooling fan on the upper end of the hot end... Also how much money does G3D wastes black anodizing or painting with heat-resistant black paint or whatever the heater block and the nozzle... Not sure I'm interested to find out how good it is. :|

I finally succeeded in removing the nozzle using a small adjustable wrench I found in my old toolbox on the aluminum block. But there was almost no stuff in it, I put it in a jar in acetone anyway and I'll see how it goes.

Gemini64

Post by Gemini64 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:16 pm

I left the nozzle soaking for more than 24 hours in acetone naively believing the burnt ABS traces on its outer surface would dissolve away... nope! So I cleaned it off with green Scotchbrite I had laying around, taking care not to touch the bottom flat surface of the nozzle. Put it back and printed 2 small parts tonight, I had no missed strands and infill looked good. I'll see with bigger parts during the weekend. :)

jebba
Site Admin

Post by jebba » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:24 am

Glad you got it working. :)

Gemini64

Post by Gemini64 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:28 pm

lotw wrote:I know the hot ends are not cheap, but I would recommend if you can afford it to purchase a spare, that way if it fails or jams again you can replace and keep your printer going while fixing it.
I just ordered a Budaschnozzle 2.0. :)

I went with the 0.50 nozzle kit because that's what I've been using with my v1.1. Wanted to buy a 0.35 nozzle separately but it's not currently stocked in Toronto, so I'll just purchase one later.

Obviously I'll install the Buda 2.0 (when I do my upgrades) and the old 1.1 will be the spare.