Kittaz build complete but have a few issues

A forum dedicated to those intrepid few, that have built their own TAZ 3D printers using our KITTAZ.
Orias
Aleph Objects | LulzBot

Re: Kittaz build complete but have a few issues

Post by Orias » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:06 am

Make sure your X axis rods are parallel and vertical. If they are not, they can be adding torque to the Z axis drive. Since everything on the X axis can add stress to the Z, make sure everything is balanced and tight enough, but not too tight as to pull things out of square/balance.

mhackney

Re: Kittaz build complete but have a few issues

Post by mhackney » Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:34 am

@zonyc - I now have a fair amount of Budhashnozzle experience printing PLA. Enough at least to have a good feel for the hotend and extruder and how to get the most out of it.

Firstly, I have been getting good prints with 2mm suck/prime (retract/advance) at 20mm/s. I have had several PLA jams and I discovered the issue. The path through the extruder - through the aluminum mount plate - and into the Budhashnozzle has too much friction. I followed the procedure to align the extruder with the hotend using a piece of 3mm filament. No matter how much I tried, the alignment was not perfect. It actually turns out, I believe, to be the hole in the aluminum mount plate. It is pretty tight on the filament. When the filament comes out of the extruder it will have an obvious ridged side to it from the drive gear. This is normal (and one reason why I don't like this form of filament drive) but it does create the opportunity for the filament to snag or in this case, jam up in the aluminum plate. Once this happens, the cog grinds away at the filament taking a big bite out of it. I simply overboard the hole in the aluminum plate to 3.5mm and chamfered the upper opening so the filament can pass smoothly in. Since making this mod I have not had a single issue with PLA jamming. I suspect this might be a contributor to others with jamming issues both with PLA and ABS.
Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start here:
A Strategy for Obtaining Great Prints

Strategies for Resolving Print Artifacts

The Eclectic Angler