RazzMaTAZZ - my KITTAZ Build

A forum dedicated to those intrepid few, that have built their own TAZ 3D printers using our KITTAZ.
encomstron

Re: RazzMaTAZZ - my KITTAZ Build

Post by encomstron » Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:18 pm

Awesome modification and took a page from your book by replacing the X plastic liner bearing with liner ball bearings, VERY big difference in both speed and quality of prints. Curious if you have ever tried the self lubricating liner bearings RST manufactured by Pacific Bearing on any of your printers in the past? http://www.pbclinear.com/Pages/Linear-Components I was going to use those but didn't have any in 10mm size (work in bearing house so many are available to me) so I opted for the liner ball and currently modifying my Y axis with them.

Also curious if your going to swap out the Z axis for ball bearing as well though I must admit I don't see much of a reason to as the Z moves in such a small incremental state I thought it would be over kill though I'd love to hear your input as my experience with 3D printing is limited to spite me coming from a CNC machine (Milltronics, Okuma, Dosoon) background.

mhackney

Post by mhackney » Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:30 pm

It does make a big difference! I have not tried the self lubricating bearings so can't say much about them. I think actual ball bearings rolling are always going to provide less friction than surface-to-surface contact though.
I swapped all 3 axes at the same time, so yes, Z are ball bearings too "just because". Although you are correct about minimal movement on Z, it is CRITICAL movement! If you use Z lift (which you probably are and should) then it is important to have quality motion control too. You could argue that you are always moving the nozzle down to the print plane and that is true, but slop is slop in my book!

saramos, I ordered from eBay from US vendors. Search and you will find them. I would have posted the URL but these vendors were out of stock on the rod. I used a separate vendor for the bearings.
Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start here:
A Strategy for Obtaining Great Prints

Strategies for Resolving Print Artifacts

The Eclectic Angler

sain

Post by sain » Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:25 pm

mhackney wrote: but slop is slop in my book!
Curious as to your thoughts on the dampeners then. They supposedly do add a bit of slop back into the system.

Do you think they introduce a negligible amount when combined with the upgraded bearings/rods?

I'm considering adding them to my machine, but I'm still on the fence.

mhackney

Post by mhackney » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:01 am

I've been running the dampers on 5 printers and for over a year on my big Rostock Delta printer. I use this printer to produce fly reels I sell and the tolerances have to be spot on. I have not seen any issue with slop due to the dampers. Theoretically, yes there is the potential. In practice, none observed. To be safe you could squirt some silicone seal between the flanges of the dampers and that will lock them in place while still providing dampening. But honestly, I scrutinize my parts with a magnifier and my layer registration and dimensions are spot on.

The parts for this reel (9) were printed and snapped together with no trimming, or other work. There are a few spots of super glue to hold it all together. The handle rotates on a printed spindle and the white spool rotates on a spindle. There are only printed parts in this reel:

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start here:

The Eclectic Angler

KosmoPi

Post by KosmoPi » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:05 am

mhackney wrote:It does make a big difference! I have not tried the self lubricating bearings so can't say much about them. I think actual ball bearings rolling are always going to provide less friction than surface-to-surface contact though.
I swapped all 3 axes at the same time, so yes, Z are ball bearings too "just because". Although you are correct about minimal movement on Z, it is CRITICAL movement! If you use Z lift (which you probably are and should) then it is important to have quality motion control too. You could argue that you are always moving the nozzle down to the print plane and that is true, but slop is slop in my book!

saramos, I ordered from eBay from US vendors. Search and you will find them. I would have posted the URL but these vendors were out of stock on the rod. I used a separate vendor for the bearings.
I am getting a bit jumbled on what you replaced as far as the guides and bearings. Here is my summary, but please check it: You went to hardened steel rods on X, Y, and Z, then switched to metal bearings also on X,Y, and Z. (at the same time you added those stepper dampers). So in matching this up with the BOM, I need 6 hardened 10mm x 500 mm steel smooth rods, and 11 steel 10mm linear IGUS bearings.

Does this sound correct? I am a little concerned about damaging my printed guides while removing the polymer bearings, so I am still weighing the risk vs reward.

mhackney

Post by mhackney » Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:22 am

That is correct and those Are the parts your you need. What printed parts are you worried about? The replacement was completely non destructive and reversible.

Start here:

The Eclectic Angler

mhackney

Post by mhackney » Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:24 am

If by Igus bearings you actually meant ball bearing guides.the. Yes. I don't think Igus makes ball bearing guides.

Start here:

The Eclectic Angler

KosmoPi

Post by KosmoPi » Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:35 am

The parts that you put in a vice to stretch to get out the bearings.

mhackney

Post by mhackney » Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:47 am

They are difficult to break. The hearings are barely in there. Do the lower X first as it is easiest.

Start here:

The Eclectic Angler

KosmoPi

Post by KosmoPi » Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:54 am

When I get all the parts in I will update here for how it went.