RazzMaTAZZ - my KITTAZ Build

A forum dedicated to those intrepid few, that have built their own TAZ 3D printers using our KITTAZ.
mhackney

Re: RazzMaTAZZ - my KITTAZ Build

Post by mhackney » Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:27 pm

I'm trying to get through the 1 kg of 3mm natural PLA as quickly as possible so I can convert my TAZZ to a dual extruder system using 1.75mm filament. I made this name plate for the top:

Now there will be no mistaking RazzMaTAZZ!
Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start here:
A Strategy for Obtaining Great Prints

Strategies for Resolving Print Artifacts

The Eclectic Angler

mhackney

Post by mhackney » Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:52 pm

Here's the printed extruder mount:

The Cyclops attaches with three M3x10 screws from the top. There is a slot printed in the right side for a zip tie to secure the wiring. The mount will be nice and light.
Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start here:

The Eclectic Angler

KosmoPi

Post by KosmoPi » Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:57 pm

Looking cool, good luck with the build.

kcchen_00

Post by kcchen_00 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:46 am

It would be great if that Cyclops lined up with the dualie extruder. But it looks like you might be headed down the path of a Bowden conversion. Might be interesting to check out the Chimera and have a hybrid dual extruder... One side direct drive or Wade's for flexible filament and the other Bowden.

Great work! Looking forward to your further tests / development.

mhackney

Post by mhackney » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:47 am

Yes, I am a fan of Bowden tubes! Gets all that moving mass off the carriage. I have years of experience with my deltas and have not run into a filament I could not print - even NinjaFlex - and have finely tuned my printers to get superb results. All it takes is an understanding of the dynamics and then some controlled tests to dial things in.

The idea of a single direct and remote Bowden is a nice hybrid approach if you have experienced issues with Bowdens. But the "modern" all metal hotends have a much smaller hot zone than the original RepRap and J-head style hot ends. I think that has a lot to do with my success with Bowdens.

Start here:

The Eclectic Angler

KosmoPi

Post by KosmoPi » Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:19 am

I have always thought that its just the better way to engineer the extruder. It simply doesn't need to be on the linear motion, so why have it be? Sticking it on the x axis makes you have to over engineer the rest of the machine ( I am happy with about my Kittaz, but still, I would like to switch over to the bowden if it is a reasonably easy transition).

mhackney

Post by mhackney » Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:22 am

It is a reasonably easy transition. You could actually mount the stock wade's extruder and add a bowden to it too.

Start here:

The Eclectic Angler

kcchen_00

Post by kcchen_00 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:11 pm

I haven't done much research on ninjaflex and bowden, but that would be the only reason for a hybrid (direct & bowden). If you've had good success with ninjaflex through a bowden system, then it would negate my initial thoughts about the hybrid to print the finicky filaments.

Awesome work!

mhackney

Post by mhackney » Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:49 pm

Made some progress on the Dual extruder mount. These are SeeMeCNC EZStruders retro fitted with a geared stepper to get the steps/mm up to >400 with lots of torque. This is a quick & dirty prototype print to test dimensions, etc.

Now I can refine the design and print the actual part.

Start here:

The Eclectic Angler

jebba
Site Admin

Post by jebba » Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:56 pm

Cool, thanks for the updates.