RazzMaTAZZ - my KITTAZ Build

A forum dedicated to those intrepid few, that have built their own TAZ 3D printers using our KITTAZ.
mhackney

Astrosyn dampers

Post by mhackney » Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:00 pm

While I did my linear guide conversion I also added Astrosyn vibration dampers on all 4 steppers:

They really do make the printer noticeably quieter. I use them on all of my printers.
Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start here:
A Strategy for Obtaining Great Prints

Strategies for Resolving Print Artifacts

The Eclectic Angler

mhackney

Bearing linear guides

Post by mhackney » Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:05 pm

My rods came in yesterday and the linear bearings with ball bearings came in today, so it was time to dig in!

First up the Y axis. This was easy as the entire table lifts right off. Took about 15 minutes to do the changeover.

I came up with a really easy way to remove the old bushings. I clamped one side of the printed mount in my vice:

Then you can just gently bend back the other side and the old bearing pops out and the new pops right in:

The bearings are a perfect replacement for the plastic ones:

The entire job, including installing the Astrosyn dampers, took about 2 hours along with several phone calls, emails and a dozen forum posts.
Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start here:

The Eclectic Angler

mhackney

Just a little RazzMaTAZZ...

Post by mhackney » Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:29 pm

Only took a few minutes to recalibrate after the linear guide upgrade. Thought I'd use version 2 of my dual extruder mount for the maiden print. This also shows my PEI surface pretty clearly so you can see how I install mine:

I was quite pleased with how much quieter and smoother running the printer is now. The part looks really good. Here is an overall shot of the printer:

The 4' of snow in my yard has decreased to about 18" this week with the sun, warm temps and lots of rain today.

Start here:

The Eclectic Angler

saramos

Re: RazzMaTAZZ - my KITTAZ Build

Post by saramos » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:33 am

Didn't you recently post that you could not source .003" PEI?
Here's a possible source:
http://k-mac-plastics.net/ultem-sheets-rods.htm

Cheers,

Scott

mhackney

Post by mhackney » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:00 am

No, .003" is too thin. We use primary .03" to .04". Amazon is currently out but McMaster Carr has the .04".

Thanks,
Michael

Start here:

The Eclectic Angler

dutchhome

Post by dutchhome » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:45 am

FWIW, there is another vendor on Amazon selling PEI sheets, but I would suggest staying away. They claim to have the PEI in stock, but it took a very long time for them to ship (I didn't receive it until a week after placing the order). Actually once it arrived I saw that it was just a drop ship from Grainger. It isn't quite as thick as the McMaster-Carr PEI even though they were both supposed to be 0.04", but unlike MC, it did ship flat. I'm torn on which one to actually install.
Lulzbot TAZ 4.1
Upgraded to Hexagon Extruder
Converted old extruder to Flexystruder 1.1

KosmoPi

Re: Astrosyn dampers

Post by KosmoPi » Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:38 pm

mhackney wrote:While I did my linear guide conversion I also added Astrosyn vibration dampers on all 4 steppers:

They really do make the printer noticeably quieter. I use them on all of my printers.

Are the Astrosyn ones much better than cork ones shown here?: http://www.amazon.com/justpla-Nema-17-V ... ion+damper

Astrosyn is out of stock and also require minimum of 10 per order. These cork ones are definitely less expensive...

mhackney

Post by mhackney » Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:44 pm

You can get AstroSyn from UltiBots - that's where I get mine.

I think the astrosyns are much quieter (I've used both) but some claim they introduce a little slop. Honestly, I have never observed it and I print high resolution parts for my printed fly reels.

Start here:

The Eclectic Angler

KosmoPi

Post by KosmoPi » Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:57 pm

Cool, always good to come across a new site! I have to stop myself from ordering too much

saramos

Post by saramos » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:32 pm

Where did you source your rods and bearings? And did you do both the X and Y?

Scott