Mini Bed Level Adjustment

A forum dedicated to the stock LulzBot Mini 3D Printer
dfarning

Re: Mini Bed Level Adjustment

Post by dfarning » Sun May 20, 2018 3:10 pm

My working "newbie" hypothesis is that the hot end must be perfectly clean of plastic and any fiber that comes off the nozzle cleaning pad before performing the auto leveling procedure.

Any schmutz, even a single fiber, from the nozzle cleaning pad can prevent the nozzle from make good electrical contact with the metal washer. I think the system detects the sudden lack of electrical resistance between the nozzle and the washer to determine the exact point at which they contact.

david

Edit: That seems to be the issue for me. 3/4 of test runs failed to level properly in at least one corner without cleaning off the nozzle of cleaning pad fibers. 0/4 test runs fail to level properly if I used a tweezers to grab the lose fiber off the nozzle between the self cleaning process and the auto level.

My hypothesis is that turning off both the printer and cura and then turning them both back on gave the nozzle another minute or two to cool between prints. That was long enough to enable the nozzle to clean properly without manually intervening with the tweezers.

NOTE: All tests in this tread are done with a new spool of Polylite PLA from Lulzbot with all material setting left at their default in Cura.

Galadriel
Aleph Objects | LulzBot

Post by Galadriel » Tue May 22, 2018 7:45 am

I wanted to reach out and mention that it isn't recommended to use anything metallic on your nozzle, if you do have to clean your nozzle between the wipe procedure and autoleveling it would be better to use a scotch brite pad or some other nonmetallic abrasive. The metal tweezers could potentially cause a short that could travel back to the RAMBo and damage your printer. Alternatively it could be that the wipe temperature needs to be adjusted slightly to allow for better cleaning.

dfarning

Post by dfarning » Tue May 22, 2018 6:58 pm

Thanks, I hadn't found the knob to adjust wiping temp yet. I'll try turning it down until the fiber stops sticking to the nozzle. In the mean time I use a non-metallic tweezers.

The family is starting to think that the fumes are affecting my brain. A week with my new printer and all i have to show for it is a desktop covered in little black cubes :)