Lulzbot Mini startup/auto-level fail - around probe points

A forum dedicated to the stock LulzBot Mini 3D Printer
Ehoff
Aleph Objects | LulzBot

Re: Lulzbot Mini startup/auto-level fail - around probe points

Post by Ehoff » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:20 am

Has anything metallic or conductive been used to clean your nozzle? The z-min being triggered usually is a sign that the RAMBo board has been shocked, and the most common reason for this, is when someone uses something metallic to clean the nozzle and in turn shocked the board.

idcrook

Post by idcrook » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:13 pm

I’ve never used a wire brush or anything like that to “clean” the nozzle. that being said, I have often used the metal tweezers that came with my Mini to pinch off extra oozing filament from the tip of the nozzle.

I finally got a chance to swap out extruder with another one and an M119 command came back Zmin triggerred, so I guess I have a bad board.

What’s a recommended way to replace/get that fixed these days? Is there a certain board or supplier I should look into?

This is a gen1 Mini purchased in July 2015...

Galadriel
Aleph Objects | LulzBot

Post by Galadriel » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:37 am

idcrook wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:13 pm
I’ve never used a wire brush or anything like that to “clean” the nozzle. that being said, I have often used the metal tweezers that came with my Mini to pinch off extra oozing filament from the tip of the nozzle.

I finally got a chance to swap out extruder with another one and an M119 command came back Zmin triggerred, so I guess I have a bad board.

What’s a recommended way to replace/get that fixed these days? Is there a certain board or supplier I should look into?

This is a gen1 Mini purchased in July 2015...
There are a couple options for getting the board replaced, in terms of a specific board you will want to make sure you are getting a Mini-RAMBo v1.3a made by Ultimachine. We sell it on our website in the parts section here: https://www.lulzbot.com/store/parts/min ... ltimachine (the version number of this board will most likely be different than yours but it is still compatible)
And we have an assembly guide for the Mini 1.03 that you could use to uninstall the old board and reinstall the new one here: https://ohai.lulzbot.com/project/865100 ... 7262/mini/ (I recommend taking additional photos and labeling your wiring harnesses before unplugging old board to make install of new board easier)
If you are located in the USA you could look into our out of warranty repair service here: https://www.lulzbot.com/lulzbot-repair-service
Depending on where you live there are also people who offer 3D printer repair as a service, though of course there are no guarantees as to their familiarity with our products or overall quality of the repair since they would be a 3rd party so you would want to make sure you did your research if you went this route.
Once you replace the board if you need to clean off the nozzle we recommend raising the printhead off the bed, and bring to extrusion temperature. Using a thick leather glove and a clean blue shop towel gently wipe off the outside of the nozzle. Using a non-conductive Scotch Brite pad to clean the nozzle is also very effective.

kmanley57

Post by kmanley57 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:38 pm

If you decide to change it out yourself, make sure you flash the firmware. It will probably have Ultimachine firmware that will give 'strange' operation if you try to move the motors.
I will express my CRAZY ideas at any time! So you have been warned. None of my opinions are Lulzbots and can be wrong at any second.

idcrook

Post by idcrook » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:09 am

Galadriel wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:37 am
If you are located in the USA you could look into our out of warranty repair service here: https://www.lulzbot.com/lulzbot-repair-service
thanks for all the information.

I do live in Loveland, CO of all places actually :D , but I will probably attempt to do the repair/replacement myself.

idcrook

Post by idcrook » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:43 pm

Got a chance to swap the mini RAMbo out of mini today.

With a couple hex wrenches, a label maker, and an iphone with a flashlight (and to take photos in case), it took only about an hour to swap out bad/swap in a new board.

Everything appears to be working, and am halfway through a first "test" print as I am typing this.