I want to hook up my Mini's to my local network without using a Raspberry Pi, is this possible?

Hello! So here’s the situation: At work we have several Mini’s (and some planned Taz 6’s). We also have a LAN network connecting all of our computers; it has not internet and no Wi-Fi capabilities. I want to be able to network all of my 3D printers to our network, but I am not allowed to use a Raspberry Pi because it is not an approved hardware device–no Linux based computers are. Windows based computers are approved (up to Windows 7). So, what are my options to control my printers on our local network? Here is what I was maybe thinking:

Use Octoprint for Windows on kind of a master control computer that would be plugged into all of our printers. Would other computers on the network be able to control the printers?

Use some sort of USB to Ethernet adapter that let’s anyone on the network control the printers from any computer connected to the network? Does technology like this exist?

Any other ideas? Thanks! :slight_smile:

That’s a bit ridiculous. Up to Win7, not even the latest OS?

I think Octoprint can do what you want it to do. You would have to connect all the printers to the one computer. Then that machine would be on the network and anyone wanting to print would connect to it’s web interface. I’ve never tried to use more than one printer with it though. The only small form factor device I know of that can do that is the Rpi.

If Octoprint can’t do it, maybe one of the other packages can… Astroprint, repetier-host, probably others are out there too…

I am sure not an expert but I think the Raspberry Pi can also run Windows.

Subscribed
Was going to add that we’re testing the new https://www.matterhackers.com/store/printer-accessories/mattercontrol-touch-t10 as a solution for clients that want this, but saw “no wifi / no linux”

Yeah, I think it is Windows 10 only though.

Yeah, if I could do wifi and/or Linux, I would just use a Pi!

Thanks. So, I set up Octoprint and I am able to control each printer from any computer on the network. However, I am not able to control multiple printers simultaneously with Octoprint. Any ideas on how to do this? Do I need to setup multiple servers or something?

No… not Raspberry Pi its a hardware platform :slight_smile:

Octoprint has been ported to Windows 7 or Mac OS X. I don’t know how well the repositories are kept, so it may not be as “cutting-edge” as the linux distribution. Running hardware capable of supporting Windows or OS X increases cost… an Intel NUC or Mini will run about $300-$500.

There are USB extenders which use Ethernet or Cat5 cabling. I use a Belkin USB over Ethernet extender at home which is fairly reliable… but its controlling a sprinkler system which is only sending on and off commands. Its not streaming code like Octoprint… and I think it needs to run a client to see the USB devices.

Are the printers centrally located (ie. spread out in one room)? Or are they in different locations within the school?

Repitier Server may work for you. I am not sure Octoprint will send the code over the Ethernet.

Thanks for all for the replies guys! Yeah, the printers are controlled in the same room by the same computer. I’m not sure why I didn’t think of the simple solution first…but we are able to remote control that computer using remote desktop and any of the other computers on the network. Problem solved! :slight_smile:

If anyone was wondering, you can run multiple instances of Octoprint on one computer to control multiple printers simultaneously. I didn’t try it, but read a few articles from people who were able to do it successfully.

:wink: Actually the Pi is a mini/micro computer and can run Linux or a form of Windows 10, read about it here > http://www.techrepublic.com/article/windows-10-on-the-raspberry-pi-what-you-need-to-know/

It just needs to have OctoPrint ported over and since it can already run on Windows 7 may be feasible.

Um… yeah… a hardware platform. You could possibly run Windows on Raspberry Pi. But you can’t run Raspberry Pi on Windows.

I kinda want to make a raspberry pi virtual hardware clone now.