PEI Film Woes

A forum dedicated to the stock LulzBot Mini 3D Printer
reddot

Re: PEI Film Woes

Post by reddot » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:47 pm

Hey there,

At what temp does the bed slide forward after a print is done? I had thought that it was when the bed reached room temperature. Is there a gcode modification that we could keep the bed at the "right" temp for a while after the bed is slid forward

Thanks.

Todd

ScottW

Post by ScottW » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:13 pm

reddot wrote:Hey there, At what temp does the bed slide forward after a print is done? I had thought that it was when the bed reached room temperature. Is there a gcode modification that we could keep the bed at the "right" temp for a while after the bed is slid forward
Thanks.
Todd
It varies by material, but generally around 50C for most. In general, you can edit the ending script to remove the "S140 S0" that turns off the bed heater, or insert a dwell command (G4 Sxxx, where xxx is number of seconds) before it, so that the bed stays warm. This question comes up pretty frequently, so search the forum and you should find a bunch of example script changes that implement this.

reddot

Post by reddot » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:31 am

Thanks!

daggius

Post by daggius » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:58 pm

The PEI sheet gets lumpy after a few prints

Would like to replace it with solid glass print, so that prints always have flat botom

https://www.matterhackers.com/store/l/g ... xkQAvD_BwE

DO you just run un-heated if you do that then? cause when i went to remove the lulzbot mini petg, it has wires connect to it, cant remove etc.

ScottW

Post by ScottW » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:12 pm

daggius wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:58 pm
The PEI sheet gets lumpy after a few prints

Would like to replace it with solid glass print, so that prints always have flat botom

https://www.matterhackers.com/store/l/g ... xkQAvD_BwE

DO you just run un-heated if you do that then? cause when i went to remove the lulzbot mini petg, it has wires connect to it, cant remove etc.
The standard Lulzbot beds have the heater adhered to the underside of the glass. Best way to remove the PEI is -- disconnect the heater (plug is generally zip-tied to cable chain under bed) and put the entire assembly (heater, glass, PEI) into the freezer for 30 minutes. Take it out, and the PEI will peel right off, leaving the adhesive behind. Then use alcohol (or Limonene if you have it) to soften the adhesive, and scrape it off with a razor blade. Takes a while, but it eventually all comes off. You need to be careful not to damage the heater while doing that.

Not sure about printing on the bare glass, as I have no experience other than what I have read....which is that you will generally still want it heated. Some materials don't stick well to glass and will need some form of adhesive layer (tape, abs slurry, pva glue, etc.). Other materials may stick too well without using something like PVA as a release agent. I recommend visiting some sites that sell plain glass beds, and look for recommendations there.

daggius

Post by daggius » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:52 pm

thx scott. ima print nylon 910 mostly with glue stick and the sooner i get rid of the pei trash the better.

ScottW

Post by ScottW » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:06 pm

Cool- For glass, Taulman recommends 45C bed with PVA when printing 910. See the link below for more details. The A910 is really great stuff - just make sure it is really dry, as any absorbed moisture will cause bad layer adhesion and popping/bubbling. If you have any trouble, Taulman is really responsive and helpful.
http://taulman3d.com/best-print-settings.html

daggius

Post by daggius » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:50 pm

for sure. 910 is mother i been layin down battlebots with it for a couple yera tho so no problem.