very unstable bed temperature

Guys, just finished a print where the filament temperature was set to 265 and the bed temperature to 110, for ABS. However during the print the bed temperature was all over the place, and as the print stopped it went to 124 degrees. Any experience of this and troubleshooting tips?

Cheers

Les

If your bed temp is fluctuating much, you might be getting a intermittent/broken bed heater wire. YMMV.

Thanks

The printer is two months old, so not expecting it to be broken, and if it is I can’t see it. However a good look shows that the stuff bonded below the glass bed seems to be coming away in the middle. The PEI film is fine, but you can see a ‘bubble’ underneath the bed.

If the wire was to be broken, where are the common points that this would occur?

By the way what does YMMV mean, or is it your signature?

Cheers

Les

If there is an air gap between the heater and the bed, the heater pad is likely heating very quickly and “overshooting” the set point. Hence the 124 temp when you had it set for 110. The pad needs good contact with the bed for the heat to transfer from the pad to the glass, and without the thermal mass of the glass the pad itself will heat very quickly.

I recommend contacting Lulzbot support. If the heater has separated from the glass, I would expect them to replace the bed under warranty.

YMMV is “Your Mileage May Vary”. Internet slang for “That’s what I’ve experienced, but your experience may be different from mine.” :slight_smile:

Thanks Guys - onto the Support guys I go

Cheers

I’m pleased to report a very quick and positive response from the support guys, they have organised a replacement bed for my Mini. Good service, guys

Les