Adding a display/Untethered use

A forum dedicated to the stock LulzBot Mini 3D Printer
jhackt

Adding a display/Untethered use

Post by jhackt » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:43 pm

Hi,

we got our 2 Minis today, great little machines :)
However, i was pretty annoyed by the lack of an untethered option - sure, i knew the mini had no display and controls but i thought one could unplug the cable after sending the Print Job - like my 4 years old 400$ Up! mini does...

However, since we use the printers for Kids workshops, it is critical not to have 1 Laptop per printer hooked up and the Print success depending on children not pulling cables or clicking around :)

TL,DR:
Is there any reprep like smart controller board confirmed working with the Mini's minirambo?

The alternative will be a pi running octoprint which would have the bonus of slicing right on the machine but is a bit hacky with Running a Server + GUI + touchscreen (we don't always have wifi on site)

Hope you can help :)

piercet

Re: Adding a display/Untethered use

Post by piercet » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:33 pm

There are multiple versions of the Rambo mini board. One has an LCD header. You can upgrade to that board if you don't already have it and add an LCD, or you can add a raspberry pi and run octoprint and octopi using the mounting holes inside the chassis cover. There are other options as well, but those are the simplest.

kcchen_00

Post by kcchen_00 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:20 am

The Raspberry Pi and optional touchscreen running Octoprint mentioned by piercet is a good, versatile option. Plug the server into the USB port. Upload gcode files to Octoprint (via the local network) and print. Add a camera to monitor the print and collect cool time-lapses for the kids.

jhackt

Post by jhackt » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:53 am

piercet wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:33 pm
There are multiple versions of the Rambo mini board. One has an LCD header.
Here are two pictures of the board i have, does it have the header?

https://imgur.com/a/jlb0N

jhackt

Post by jhackt » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:56 am

kcchen_00 wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:20 am
The Raspberry Pi and optional touchscreen running Octoprint mentioned by piercet is a good, versatile option. Plug the server into the USB port. Upload gcode files to Octoprint (via the local network) and print. Add a camera to monitor the print and collect cool time-lapses for the kids.
We dont always bring our own wifi, so I'd have to connect to a new wifi every time, sometimes there isn't any at all. The Best Option would be to come up to the machine with a usb-drive or sd-card, much like we do atm with our ultimakers. I'm currently working on that solution but a Controller with LCD would be the easier method right now.

piercet

Post by piercet » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:16 am

That looks like a minirambo 1.3 board, which does have the two EXT connectors so adding a Fullgraphics LCD module is possible. I don't know if the code bits for the LCD are in the firmware, but you can add those if you have some firmware editing knowledge without too much trouble, mainly by copying the elements in from the full Taz firmware. The same LCD cable used for the full Taz 6 should in theory fit, though I've not tried it. As with any electronics upgrade there is a small element of risk, so proceed at your own risk.
http://reprap.org/wiki/MiniRambo

mrvanes

Post by mrvanes » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:54 am

Although I haven't tried, you could add an external SD card reader to the Pi and make it automount. IIRC Octoprint can be configured to watch an SD directory. I don't really understand the wifi problem, but you can make the Pi access point: no need for external wifi network.
I would definitely try the Octoprint path first.

kcchen_00

Post by kcchen_00 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:02 am

jhackt wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:56 am

We dont always bring our own wifi, so I'd have to connect to a new wifi every time, sometimes there isn't any at all. The Best Option would be to come up to the machine with a usb-drive or sd-card, much like we do atm with our ultimakers. I'm currently working on that solution but a Controller with LCD would be the easier method right now.
Understood. Sounds like an LCD would be ideal.

If you don't have wifi, using a cross-connect cable (or small hub) with the built in network port of the Pi should also work. Make sure the PC and Pi are on the same subnet.

jhackt

Post by jhackt » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:38 am

thanks for now, i'm still working on the pi solution :-) anyhow, if someone already tried the Smart Controller, i'd love to hear about that! I dont want to do any firmware modifications, so i think this would only work for me if its plug and play...

Brent.I
Aleph Objects | LulzBot

Post by Brent.I » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:32 am

We have done some experimenting with this, and an add-on is something that is currently in development. You can find more information on it here: https://code.alephobjects.com/source/gyrfalcon/

Firmware (still in development, please use with caution) can be found here: http://devel.lulzbot.com/software/Marlin/1.1.5.12/

Feel free to sign up for our newsletter to get announcements on when new products become available! https://www.lulzbot.com/content/newsletter-signup