Wiper Pad Alternatives

A forum dedicated to the stock LulzBot Mini 3D Printer
orly_andico

Wiper Pad Alternatives

Post by orly_andico » Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:26 pm

After more observation, it's obvious that my extruder blockage issues and varying print quality of the first layer is all down to the auto-leveling. Which in turn is dependent on those wiper pads.

Unfortunately I'm chewing through wiper pads at a tremendous rate; I just ordered ten from the Aleph Objects store but as I'm not in the US it takes me 3 weeks to get them.

Are there any viable alternatives? I tried 3M scotch brite and that was a notable failure.

Alternatively, is there a way to skip the auto-level process? My bed leveling does not change between print jobs.

b-morgan

Re: Wiper Pad Alternatives

Post by b-morgan » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:06 am

orly_andico wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:26 pm
Alternatively, is there a way to skip the auto-level process? My bed leveling does not change between print jobs.
The auto-level (and the nozzle wiping) are controlled by commands in the start gcode which you can customize. The auto-level command is G29 and the output of this command can be viewed with either "G29 V4" or "M420 V". The results are not stored in EEPROM. As long as the data is valid (check with "M420 V"), another G29 is not needed.

Unfortunately, the type of auto-leveling used in the LulzBot printers (AUTO_BED_LEVELING_LINEAR), does not define the M421 command which could be used to manually set (or adjust) the auto-leveling data.

If you manually clean the nozzle when needed, you could remove the nozzle wiping from the start gcode. Unless the "G29 V4" output shows the bed is perfectly level, I'd hesitate to remove the G29 from the start gcode.

defuzz

Post by defuzz » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:58 pm

I haven't had any issues going through pads quickly, but I'm not sure how frequently you print.

I do use the following item: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1976831. Now I never have probing issues and very rarely have any material on the felt pad.

Maybe your temperature setting is too high for the material if you're getting lots of ooze.

monsteroyd

Post by monsteroyd » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:17 am

That dual wipe is cool. Anyone know if this works on the Mini2?

Thanks
Monty
Lulzbot Mini 2

defuzz

Post by defuzz » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:08 am

I don't think the range that the Mini2 can go back in the Y direction has changed (only difference between the stock wiping sequence and the modified one included)... so I'd think it would work.

monsteroyd

Post by monsteroyd » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:12 am

I guess I could try the gcode shown at the thingiverse site to see.

Thanks again defuzz.

Monty
Lulzbot Mini 2

ScottW

Post by ScottW » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:43 pm

@monsteroyd - Check the "comments" section on that dual-wiper, there is a user who posted some updated gcode fine-tuned for the Mini-2.

monsteroyd

Post by monsteroyd » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:39 pm

ScottW wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:43 pm
@monsteroyd - Check the "comments" section on that dual-wiper, there is a user who posted some updated gcode fine-tuned for the Mini-2.
Thanks, I didn't notice that.

Monty
Lulzbot Mini 2

IDEngineer

Post by IDEngineer » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:24 am

We are extremely careful about cleaning our nozzle before and after every print. This makes me wonder if I can edit the GCode to eliminate both the "cleaning" operation, and the 30mm retraction cycle it requires. This would save time and, more importantly, leave ME in charge of how much filament is in the nozzle. This latter point might finally, Finally eliminate the dribbling/oozing problem my Mini has suffered from DAY ONE. No matter what, when it undoes the 30mm retraction right before starting the print it leaves a big glob of extruded filament on/under the nozzle which destroys about 20-25% of my prints in the very first layer. I'd love to eliminate that.

kcchen_00

Post by kcchen_00 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:40 pm

IDEngineer wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:24 am
No matter what, when it undoes the 30mm retraction right before starting the print it leaves a big glob of extruded filament on/under the nozzle which destroys about 20-25% of my prints in the very first layer. I'd love to eliminate that.
Use a skirt. It will prime the nozzle and the "glob" will be deposited on the skirt rather than your print.

30mm retraction sounds like a lot... especially with 3mm filament. It does take about 30mm (@.5mm extrusion width) to prime the nozzle at the start of a print... but that does not equate to the filament retraction distance in the hotend which should be less than 2mm.