Auto Leveling Failed Again: 0V between nozzle and washer

A forum dedicated to the stock LulzBot Mini 3D Printer
Post Reply
orly_andico
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:05 am

Auto Leveling Failed Again: 0V between nozzle and washer

Post by orly_andico » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:48 pm

As I've noted in some of my other posts, I've had auto leveling problems ever since I got my Mini. I've worked around it, and I thought it was due to worn-out wiper pads, plastic on the washers, etc. etc. etc.

The extruder blockages that I've experienced in retrospect are also due to inaccurate leveling - the nozzle gets pushed down really hard on the washer resulting in an artificially large negative Z-offset which blocks the nozzle and causes filament build-up inside the extruder until it gets to the heat break and hardens.

But to my immediate problem: I've always had problems with the first washer, but now I get problems on the other washers as well. I used to be able to measure 5V between the nozzle and all the washers, but now I don't get any voltage at all.

Is the 5V available all the time? or only when probing? What wiring do I need to check?

kmanley57
Posts: 1080
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:53 pm

Re: Auto Leveling Failed Again: 0V between nozzle and washer

Post by kmanley57 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:27 am

The newer firmware only enables the pin during probing now, so you will see nothing unless you are probing the washers.
I will express my CRAZY ideas at any time! So you have been warned. None of my opinions are Lulzbots and can be wrong at any second.

orly_andico
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:05 am

Re: Auto Leveling Failed Again: 0V between nozzle and washer

Post by orly_andico » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:03 am

Definitely getting 0V even when probing. Sometimes I suddenly see 4.xx V and then probing succeeds but that's the exception now. Chewing up so many wiper pads...

orly_andico
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:05 am

Re: Auto Leveling Failed Again: 0V between nozzle and washer

Post by orly_andico » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:48 am

Resolution: broken Z-min wire to the build plate. Didn't bother to thread the new wires (I used 2 x 18-awg stranded for redundancy) through the cable carrier, just zip-tied them to the outside.

I was really expecting a more reliable experience from what is ostensibly an American brand. Not a happy camper.

Post Reply