Looking for better PEI to Glass bed adhesive 200MP 468MP fail ABS temperatures

A forum dedicated to the stock LulzBot Mini 3D Printer
CoParaTech

Re: Looking for better PEI to Glass bed adhesive 200MP 468MP fail ABS temperatures

Post by CoParaTech » Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:01 pm

Excellent. I think that will work out well. 4 mil is probably overkill, but after replacing so many PEI sheets, I went big and haven't had to replace one since. ;)

Just remember to adjust your Z offset to compensate for the increased height of the bed.
Happy Holidays!

ScottW

Re: Looking for better PEI to Glass bed adhesive 200MP 468MP fail ABS temperatures

Post by ScottW » Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:07 pm

CoParaTech wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:01 pm
Just remember to adjust your Z offset to compensate for the increased height of the bed.
That isn't making sense to me... The washer thickness sets the distance from the PEI when probing. The washers sit on top of the PEI, so the relative distance between "probe contact" and "PEI surface" should be exactly the same, right? Or did you make cut-outs for the washers, so they sit on the glass rather than the thicker PEI, to avoid having to add length/shims to the tubular spacers?

ScottW

Post by ScottW » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:49 pm

Just to follow up... I decided to go with a 0.020" thick PEI with pre-laminated adhesive available on Amazon.

The install was quite a bit harder than with the stock 0.010" sheet. First, because the 0.020 sheet is stiffer it is more difficult to apply and get all the bubbles out as you gradually lay down the sheet onto the glass. Second, trimming the excess was much more difficult: Whereas I've always been able to easily trim excess 0.010" sheet with just a hand-held razor blade, the 0.020" sheet is much harder to cut. I resorted to a utility knife, finally got it all trimmed, but it wasn't fun.

When I peeled off the top protective sheet, I found the PEI was perfectly smooth and shiny -- not matte textured like the sheets from Lulzbot. Grabbed some Scotch-brite gray (equivalent to 00 steel wool I think) and textured it myself.

Ran a test print and everything worked perfectly. No need for Z offset changes as washers are still on top of the sheet, and no need for shims or longer spacers under the washers, as the extra 0.010" is easily accommodated by the "cushion" of the ninjaflex bed corners.

Only time will tell if the .020" holds up better than the stock .010" sheet. It is my impression that a lot of the bubbles occur due to the sheet "stretching" during part shrinkage, so the thicker sheet should provide more resistance to that. I'll try to report back here in a few months with results.

CoParaTech

Post by CoParaTech » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:04 pm

Excellent, ScottW, I think it will be a long time before you have any issues with that, if ever. ;) Mine are still going strong. The thicker sheets just won't bubble or warp and handle scratches and scrapes much better. Just sand it down and scrape is gone. The thicker sheets are practically bullet proof. They should be stock on new printers. :)

ztatic

Post by ztatic » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:44 am

I print ABS-PC with a 110°C bed temp and notice no problems with adhesion of the PEI to the glass.

FWIW, I print ABS on a FlashForge, and have never had to use a 110°C temp with their print bed stickers. 100°C works fine, and in fact ABS sticks a bit too well, and requires heating the bed to 60° for model removal. Maybe try using one of their stickers on your Lulzbot?