Inadequate hot end heater power (Mini 1)

Mini 1. Hot end can’t maintain 280°C when printing at 60 mm/s. Drops to 253°C within a minute or two of when the first layer is done. 60 mm/s is the default flow rate from the standard ABS-PC profile, but the printer in stock form can’t actually manage it. It also takes a quite long time to reach 280° for that first layer, which prints slowly enough that the heater is able to maintain the temperature initially.

I experimented with slower printer speeds to no avail. The other thing that happens in the standard profile after the first layer is done is that fan goes from 0 to 100%. The printer does the first layer with the fan completely off. Cutting it to 20% doesn’t quite do it (265°C at 30 mm/s). I guess I’ll just set teh fan to 0% for printing all layers and see how fast it can go. This is crazy. Who came up with these profiles?

For future reference, is there a higher power heater cartridge and heater driver circuit available? I haven’t had success finding one on line.

I see the M301 command is for modifying the PID parameters to compensate for the faster heat transfer rate.

Can this heater be used?

https://e3d-online.com/high-temperature-heater-cartridges

Assuming the MOSFET is beefed up, does it fit the heater block? and can the power supply provide the extra current for a 65W cartridge?

I think you would need a higher wattage supply.

Do Lulzbot engineers not monitor the forum?