Build Your Own RepRap: Open-source 3-D printing

Name: MY4777/MY5777/EE4777/EE5777 Open-source 3-D printing
Type of Free License: CC-BY-SA 3.0
Recommended Grade Levels: Advanced high school, advanced undergraduate and/or graduate students

More Information:
http://www.appropedia.org/MY4777

This course provides an introduction to distributed additive manufacturing using open-source 3-D printing. First this course will provide an overview of open-source hardware and technological development in theory and practice. Both the use of software and user communities will be highlighted and demonstrated. Next, the course will detail the design, use and maintenance of the open-source electronics behind the development of self-replicating rapid prototypers. Then the technological evolution of the open-source 3-D printing technology will be covered with a focus on developing innovation for improved performance and materials selection. Each student will build a customized RepRap and the course will cover hardware, firmware, slicing and printer controller software for operating and maintaining the device. Finally the material properties, applications and ramifications of RepRap technology will be discussed.

The course is meant for advanced undergraduate and graduate students in Materials Science & Engineering, and Electrical & Computer Engineering, while students in other areas of engineering or science with a strong interest in this topic are also welcomed. Graduate students are expected to complete all coursework assigned to the undergraduates and an in depth project.