Temperature ladder

Learn How To Get the Most From Your LulzBot 3D Printer
bbc0

Temperature ladder

Post by bbc0 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:29 pm

Folk have advised me to print a temperature ladder with new filament to determine the best hot-end temperature to use with it. Is there a way to automate this so that the temperature set point is adjusted automatically at each step?

b-morgan

Re: Temperature ladder

Post by b-morgan » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:07 am

I'm assuming the temperature ladder is an .stl file that is sliced to produce .gcode. The .stl file can be procedurally generated but none of the existing slicers that I am aware of have a way of dynamically changing the hotend temperature (unless it supports post-processing extensions). G-code doesn't have any support for doing math. The best you could do would be to post process the .gcode file with slicer extensions or a program of some sort.

bbc0

Post by bbc0 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:21 am

OK thanks for the response.
So without be able to adjust the set point for each temperature step, what would the procedure be for printing a temperature ladder on my original Mini?

b-morgan

Post by b-morgan » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:51 pm

Pick a temperature tower model. The model should have instructions that describe its geometry including a recommended layer height. Using these parameters in your slicer and produce a .gcode file. Edit this .gcode file inserting "M104 Sxxx" commands at the appropriate locations (by layer or by height).

Here's a pointer to one that includes everything you should need including post processing macros, https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2729076. If you don't like that one, here's a pointer to everything tagged with "Temperature Tower", https://www.thingiverse.com/tag:Temperature_Tower

Google will be your friend if you ask it the right question. Try "automated 3d temperature tower" and throw in the name of your preferred slicer.