PEI bed surface

Have questions? Want advice?
dunginhawk

Re: PEI bed surface

Post by dunginhawk » Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:08 pm

BTW, ive had gecktek plates for a while now.. tested multiple iterations.
LOVE them.
magnetic plate is about 1/3 inch, magnets embedded. plates are 1mm or so thick.
great system.

EDIT : sorry, was in the middle of a game :)... anyway... I have tested a few different iterations of the plate. THe latest one is by far the best.. However the PLA one that i received early on was fantastic as well. I have asked brad to find a way to work with the lulzbot community to get a taz 5 build plate going, but its going to prove pretty difficult i imagine. Given the base plate from my old FFCP was easier to replace with a magnetic base than that of the taz 5.
So we will see . Either way, i can verify the plates are real, and they work very well.

mhackney

Post by mhackney » Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:45 am

Do you have any photos of the bottom surface of a print to show what sort of texture the plates imparts?

First layer adherence is only part 1 of the print surface function. Aesthetic impact on the finished print is a secondary function for some of us. PEI leaves a beautiful in textured surface that's ideal for parts that the bottom surface is visible.

Cheers
Michael
Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start here:
A Strategy for Obtaining Great Prints

Strategies for Resolving Print Artifacts

The Eclectic Angler

dunginhawk

Post by dunginhawk » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:08 am

MIchael... so ive tested 4 different plates now... The latest is perfectly smooth, no surface texture at all which I know you will appreciate.
2 of the other ones i tested had some graininess to them, which I provided that feedback to Brad at geckotek. The High Temp plate is the latest ive tested and it was perfectly smooth.
I think the biggest problem is making sure you NEVER dig the nozzle in to the plate, or use tools to remove your parts. The surface is very scratchable.
If you just slide the plate off, let it cool a sec, the part pops right off with no tools.

andyroo54

Post by andyroo54 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:00 pm

I just bought some sheets on amazon for my Taz 3 since I ripped the PET sheet on it.

Someone said in this thread that you have to glue the PEI sheet down, what glue do I need to do this? I just assumed the PEI sheet would have a sticky back?

Thanks,

piercet

Post by piercet » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:09 pm

You need a sheet of 3m mp465 (I think) adhesive, 12x by 12x. The exact model number is towards the beginning of this thread so far. If you ordered a pie sheet from lulzbot it may come with adhesive, but I don't know for sure.

JonathanB

Post by JonathanB » Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:17 am

Just curious as to how long the 3M adhesive is supposed to last? Mine is starting to dry it after some heavy printing......I'd like to do away with having to use adhesive....anyone have success using a thick sheet of PEI and just clamping it in the corner clamps?

tmorris9

Post by tmorris9 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:14 am

My 3M adhesive laster over a year and then I needed to change the bed (I damaged it) and it was a very big job removing the adhesive. I believe if I never needed to change the PEI that the adhesive would last 5 years or more.