Layers not adhering to each other

Have questions? Want advice?
dhcustompak

Layers not adhering to each other

Post by dhcustompak » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:21 pm

Hi!
I have been working with two Taz 4's and have been experiencing an issue on both printers. That being said, I'm assuming I'm doing something wrong, and I was hoping someone might be able to point out my mistake.

I have been having issues with the layers of my prints in ABS not adhering to each other very well (see photos).
IMG_1257.JPG
layer issues
My layers height: .25mm
First Layer height: .25
Fill Density: 30%
infill speed 40mm/s
travel speed 50mm/s
Extruder Temp: 230c
Bed temp: 95c

Are there any settings I have really wrong? I have been covering the printer to try and prevent any cold air from causing any type of warping.

I have had this happen with 3 different spools of Filament, and on multiple different prints.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Orias
Aleph Objects | LulzBot

Re: Layers not adhering to each other

Post by Orias » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:23 pm

What are you using for an enclosure? ABS tends to shrink more than most of the other filaments. Can that model be printed in a different orientation?

dhcustompak

Post by dhcustompak » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:35 pm

Thanks for the fast reply Orias!

I have just been using a large plastic bag to try and keep drafts from warping the piece. I am currently ordering some 80/20 to build an enclosure to match the printer.
Is it likely that I need to keep the printer in a warmer area? It is currently in a room that is about 70F. Or if I build a better enclosure, should that be sufficient?

Also, the reason why I printed the model in that orientation was to reduce support material. Is the overall height of the piece a detriment to the print since it's further away from the bed?

Orias
Aleph Objects | LulzBot

Post by Orias » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:26 pm

Ideally, with ABS, you'll want to maximize the cooling time. A thicker enclosure will certainly help, even a blanket temporarily. We have a guide on assembling an enclosure available here: http://ohai-kit.alephobjects.com/workflow/cat_guard/ The BOM can be found here: http://devel.alephobjects.com/lulzbot/TAZ/cat_guard/

dhcustompak

Post by dhcustompak » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:10 am

Thanks again for all the help! We will expedite that process, and I'll report the results here.

gannon

Post by gannon » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:24 pm

hmm...looks like something that might be nice to use all that extra t-slot for.
Any reason for the name "CAT" guard? :P

nopick

Post by nopick » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:48 pm

Constant Air Temperature? Or, just to keep the pesky cat out of the printer...