Marlin2 Firmware for TAZ6 and older???

I just noticed that in my recent flashing of the firmware for my TAZ6 with Dual v3 from Cura LE 3.6.18 that it is still using Marlin 1.1.9.34. However, in the dev archive, I am seeing Marlin 2.0.0.169 firmware for the TAZ6 Dual v3. Checking the release notes for Cura LE, there are no mentions of new firmware releases for anything other than the Pro and Workhorse models after Cura LE 3.6.3. What are the firmwares in the archive and why were they not included in later releases of Cura LE?

In Cura LE, there’s an option to “Upload custom firmware”. This should allow you to upload the .hex file.

On another note, why doesn’t Lulzbot announce firmware releases? You think paying a premium for a printer and toolhead deserves this type of service.

EDIT: I verified that you can upload the precompiled .hex files from the develop site. Unfortunately it seems as though many of the Marlin 2.0.x hex files are buggy… after uploading (.166 & .169) and , T0 wouldn’t heat up through Octoprint as normal. In any case, I hope they announce future stable firmware releases through the forums.

On another note, why doesn’t Lulzbot announce firmware releases? You think paying a premium for a printer and toolhead deserves this type of service.

Agreed!

In any case, I hope they announce future stable firmware releases through the forums.

Well, shouldn’t future stable firmware releases be in the Cura LE releases.

Thanks for explaining the path for uploading the newer firmware, but its troubling to hear that it is so buggy. I guess the real question would be:

Is Lulzbot continuing firmware support for the TAZ4/5/6 with Marlin 2.x.x.x and just haven’t gotten to a stable release yet (explaining why newer versions of Cura LE have not seen firmware updates for these printers yet) or is Marlin 1.1.9.34 the last official release we get!?

All the versions in the devel branch suggest that Marlin 2.x is officially coming to the pre Workhorse TAZ models and I understand if the newer printers are getting preferential treatment with development, but it would be nice to know what Lulzbots plans are since no official firmware updates have come out since February.

I would say that Lulzbot is trying to support Marlin 2.0.x firmware by the number of iterations in the folder… 166 versions so far. Which is a good sign.

I don’t use Cura LE, but it probably doesn’t store the “latest” firmware. Rather I think it refers to the “release candidate” folder on the devel site… at least that would be the dynamic future proof way. A test could be to turn off the network on the machine you’re using to update the firmware.

Just wanted to elaborate on what I observed when using the non-release candidate hex files. When trying to heat the extruder through Octoprint, the temperature graph would spike but ultimately the extruder wouldn’t heat. On the printer’s LCD, I also noticed that the extruder nozzles (Dual v3) where “hollow” as if not detected. Could be something in the config.h file (ie. wrong thermister type).

Anyway, I think its a good sign that someone over there is trying to compile a working 2.0.0.x firmware… may have to check their project repository for development notes: https://code.alephobjects.com/diffusion/MARLIN/

We just hit 170 today :smiley:

One of the big reasons we have not been able to release a “stable” version of Marlin 2.0 for our older generations of printers is due to the fact upstream marlin 2.0 is still considered “experimental.” You can see their latest stable release notes here: https://github.com/MarlinFirmware/Marlin/releases As the 2.0 branch is continuously in flux, some of the new fixes will break old functionality and will need to be re-worked again. We are waiting for this to become stable before truly devoting the testing time to ensure stability.

That being said, we are still fixing issues as we have them reported! Just yesterday we fixed a report of a TAZ 6 with v3 Dual extruder and it is included in 2.0.0.170: https://code.alephobjects.com/T10291

Reading through this thread, I see a couple reports.

Are you having this problem when attempting to heat through the LCD screen or connected Cura LE? (Not through octoprint)

Would you be able to post a photo of this? I will be happy to get the ticket logged.

For anyone else that is experimental with the developmental 2.0 marlin versions on printers, please feel free log any issues on our Marlin board: https://code.alephobjects.com/project/board/6/ We will just need to know the firmware version, printer and tool head combination, and any steps we can take to duplicate the issue.