Taz 4.1 Ground issues?

Have questions? Want advice?
Crono1124

Taz 4.1 Ground issues?

Post by Crono1124 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:17 pm

I was wondering if anybody else is having this problem with their Taz 4.1, Whenever i go to reach for any part of the Taz and it gets shocked (Static electricity) the whole machine resets and or the LCD goes dim until it is powered off and then back on. I've started grounding myself by touching various pieces of metal before i touch the machine but i've never had this problem with any other electronic device being so sensitive to shock. Even my metal computer cases.

Is anybody else having these issues and if you are what were you able to do to bypass the problem?

My Taz is situated in a carpeted room (Not helping the problem i'm sure) on a black glass desk bolted to the wall to minimize vibrations.

prstein

Re: Taz 4.1 Ground issues?

Post by prstein » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:59 am

I can offer a "me too." I was considering posting on the same topic. I am considering connecting the frame to earth ground to see if that makes a difference.

Best Regards,
Paul

Crono1124

Post by Crono1124 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:23 am

Most electrical components can prevent this by having the frame connected to power supply ground which since it uses a 3 prong plug should be connected to earth as you have said.

I'm wondering if i'm off on this assumption as well or if the machine is missing a ground connection somewhere. I do know those LCD types of screens are EXTREMELY sensitive to this type of shock and i'm hoping to avoid its loss until this is fixed.

Orias
Aleph Objects | LulzBot

Post by Orias » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:09 am

Can you both please send in an email to Support@LulzBot.com with the following information:

* Order number

* 3D printer serial number

* Contact information

* Shipping information

Thanks!

ray

Post by ray » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:11 pm

Hello all,

Yes, sensitivity to electrostatic discharge (ESD) on the Lulzbot TAZ is a known issue that we are working to improve. The best caution to take currently is to make sure you ground yourself prior to touching the TAZ, particularly the LCD controller. We will let you know if we find a way to improve this issue!

Thanks.

Crono1124

Post by Crono1124 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:56 pm

Thank you for the notice that it is a known issue. I will email support with the information as Orias has requested. Is there a good / Recommended way to ground one self prior to touching the Taz until the issue is resolved?

prstein

Post by prstein » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:43 am

I've been getting in the habit of touching the back of my hand to the metal edge of the desk the TAZ lives on before touching the device. Have not had the problem since I started doing that.

It is still my intention to play around with grounding the TAZ chassis but I've been keeping my printer running, quite literally, night and day. Probably the the weekend I can slow down a little bit and experiment.

Best Regards,
Paul

ray

Post by ray » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:05 am

Hi all. I have been in communication with our team regarding this. We are taking this into consideration with future builds, and looking into ways to mitigate this in current models.

RiceCake

Post by RiceCake » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:04 am

same problem here - is there a quick&dirty solution until more sophisticated solutions are developed?
do you recommended a point at the taz4.1 to connect a ground wire to?
already ruined 2 large prints with a "buzz" to the lcd module...

Crono1124

Post by Crono1124 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:05 am

There are a few solutions I have come up with based on my personal experiences with the same issue. Feel free to try them out as time allows for yourself and let me know how they work for you.

#1: Grounding yourself prior to touching the Taz. While this is the easiest solution it can also be the easiest to forget as well, resulting in failed prints when this gets buggered after touching your machine.

A: Touch a grounded object NEAR your machine prior to operating it. While this is obviously the easiest solution it comes with its own downsides... Depending on the length of time you are using your machine you risk building up another charge post grounding and the resultant shock no matter how small may again damage your LCD / RAMBo control board.

B: Use a grounding strap! This works well so long as your grounding strap IS NOT in contact with your machine. From what I have been able to tell the initial grounding transfer of energy is also sufficient to cause the above mentioned failures when you ground yourself to the Taz. (Essentially it is the same as touching it initially). If your grounding strap is connected to a true ground (NOT YOUR MACHINE) then you will never build up a charge sufficient to cause failures... Just don't forget to connect the strap prior to touching your machine.

C:Use a grounded anti static mat. This option is the most expensive one listed so far but I have found that it prevents me from ever forgetting to attach a strap. I have placed an anti - static mat (Conductive fabric) that is grounded in front of my machine. So whenever i approach the machine I am grounded prior to ever having the opportunity to touch it. This works well unless of course you are wearing thick rubber shoes preventing yourself from ever getting grounded.

#2: Fix the machine

A: I have had limited success attaching a ground point on the opposite side of the Electronics enclosure. This was an attempt to provide an easier path to ground away from sensitive components. Unfortunately its success was entirely depended on where you initially touched the device. and is not recommended.

B: Coat all exposed (Frequently touched) conductive surfaces using a spray on rubber coating. So long as you are careful during application this works wonders at preventing ESD. However as the LCD casing itself is metal directly touching the screen will still cause a significant failure.

I am still waiting for a permanent solution from lulzbot to remedy this issue myself. The workarounds listed above are not guaranteed to work in all cases and some depend on the proper electrical wiring of the house itself. Use at your own risk and be careful!