Print Height Problem

I’m a teacher using a Taz4 in my classroom. We’re working on making parts to create a model car. The issue we’re running into is that a couple of the parts are printing too high on the bed, leading to the filament not laying on the bed. Some parts are good, some print too high and I don’t know what the issue it.

The parts were made in SketchUp and then saved as .stl files. The files are then imported into Slic3r and then printed via SD card.

Any ideas how to solve the problem?

The model may be literally modeled higher than a Z height of 0. Make sure that it’s sitting directly on the bed. You can use Cura to seat the model at 0 on the Z axis. You can also use it to cut your model and control your printer. Please keep in mind that it is under development still, but it’s quite usable. Find it here: http://LulzBot.com/cura

Is there a way to do it in Slic3r? I’m still learning how to use the program.

Are you loading multiple .stl files or is it one with multiple pieces?

It is one file with two objects in it.

Can you post the model or a render of the model so we can see what you are working with?

CacheFlow’s post got me thinking. I tried removing a couple items from the file and print one object at a time. That helped.

One thing I’m running into now is that it seems to be disregarding some items in the design. In this picture, it printed everything well except for the hinges, which were ignored.
hood.tiff (51.2 KB)

I’ve seen a bunch of sketchup exports be super non-manifold, degenerate, etc. Post your .stl and I might be able to fix it.