Adhesive for heated bed

I am replacing the glass bed on my TAZ 4 and need to move the heater pad to the new glass; which adhesive or method should I use in order to affix the heating pad to the new glass? Thanks so much.

The silicone heater is self adhesive, so it should still stick to the new glass.

Would love to know how you get the heater off the broken glass. I have 4 broken/cracked beds sitting in my garage with a heater stuck to each. I tried to remove it and it was STUCK. The harder I pulled the more the glass cracked and the more damaged the heater became. I feared cutting myself horribly so I gave up. I would LOVE to get those heaters off the glass to have replacements. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

I don’t know what kind of adhesive is used on the heater pads, but if it is similar to the 3M 468MP that is used to hold the PEI sheets to the glass, then you can probably use WD-40.

I use liquid WD-40 and it works extremely well. It softens the adhesive and you can just scrape it off the glass. You would have to use a plastic scraper on the heat pad. You’d have to test a small piece to see if it will work and that it doesn’t do any damage to the pad.

Kenny

@gapdev / Kenny

I don’t know what kind of adhesive is used on the heater pads, but if it is similar to the 3M 468MP that is used to hold the PEI sheets to the glass, then you can probably use WD-40.

I recently was looking for this and wasn’t sure on the answer. I cracked my glass bed and was considering buying the 3M 468MP in a 12x12 sheet. The spec sheet seems to elude to a 400 degree temp tolerance? Anyway, I got a little impatient and just went down to Grainger to purchase any 3M double sided adhesive that had a 100+F degree tolerance. I decided on a 3/4 inch 3M 465(?) which is in the same family and they had it in stock… also had 180F tolerance per their computer data. After applying several strips to the glass directly and then the heat bed on top - it’s been working great for the last 20 prints (no issues).

I use a bladed tile scrapper to remove broken bed glass pieces, but be careful to NOT cut yourself. Then use the adhesive you decide on, but remember the bed does reach around 220 F when making your choice.

FYI, I replaced my PEI sheet by dissolving the 468MP that fastened it. Gapdev’s advice about the WD-40 is spot on. By directing the spray with that sipping straw provided, I was able to pry the corners and then the entire sheet of PEI off. Unlike others I needed to keep the glass intact. I found acetone, a paint scraper and about 30 minutes or more of diligence will get it done nicely.