Budaschnozzle 2.0 PLA Fix

Have questions? Want advice?
Orias
Aleph Objects | LulzBot

Budaschnozzle 2.0 PLA Fix

Post by Orias » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:16 pm

As some of you may be aware, we've been looking into the reports that some Budaschnozzle 2.0 users have been encountering issues when printing with PLA, such as pooling on top of the heater block. Thank you for your help and patience while we looked into resolving this. We have three tested solutions. You will want to choose one based on how often you expect to change nozzles. More information can be found here: https://www.lulzbot.com/?q=support/buda ... a-solution. Thank you again!

geneb

Re: Budaschnozzle 2.0 PLA Fix

Post by geneb » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:27 am

Why does using PTFE tape on the nozzle threads make it permanent? I ask because I JUST did that last night - the PFTE tape has no adhesive on it, so I'm not sure what makes it permanent.

tnx!

g.

antfurn

Post by antfurn » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:23 am

I too, was wondering the same thing.

Antony (has an AO-101, but just ordered a Buda v2 and extra nozzles for it)

Post by 1013 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:18 am

someone suggested running ABS thru the nozzle first, to help seal it up...then use PLA. Does that work?
I have not tried PLA yet, but have been printing plenty of ABS and nylon.

And wasn't there an out-gassing issue with getting PTFE too hot. seems like the tape will be getting VERY hot.

Orias
Aleph Objects | LulzBot

Post by Orias » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:39 am

When we tested the PTFE tape on the threads for the nozzle we found that they would bind and made removal rather difficult.

geneb

Post by geneb » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:03 pm

I carefully grip the heater block with a pair of channel-lock pliers before I try to remove the nozzle and I haven't noticed any difficulty.

I've finally gotten all my "derps" fixed with my TAZ and I'm going to be running it hard for the next few days. I'll let you know how the ptfe at the nozzle works out. :)

g.

GjBob

Post by GjBob » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:08 pm

I'm now only printing with pla. If i choose one of the tree solution will i have any problem if i decide to print abs?

Do you know a method to clean well the scrap pla that deposited all around the threads and the heater block?

geneb

Post by geneb » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:05 am

When I cleaned mine off, I brought it up to temperature and used a cotton swab to grab all the plastic out of the threads. It worked very well.

The teflon tape on the nozzle works great - zero leaks in about 10 hours of printing so far.

g.

Tom_Neverwinter

Post by Tom_Neverwinter » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:44 pm

Why is this not done to the heater block right off the bat!!!

after using my new hot end, for a week now after finally hooking it all up, I notice that the extra material dripping down my barrel is actually a problem and a known problem at that.
so after reading through the forum I find this solution, however;
my heater block will not detach from the threaded rod.
it is at 160 C, I have also tried at 185 C

why was this problem not discovered before it was released to the public?

update;
make a picture depicting the heater block set screw!!!! and label in RED
Last edited by Tom_Neverwinter on Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Orias
Aleph Objects | LulzBot

Post by Orias » Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:58 pm

In our testing of the Budaschnozzle 2.0 hot end we did not see the problems with PLA. Due to a number of users seeing the issue we presented fixes if they are seeing problems with PLA.

I would recommend retrying at 160C and moving it little by little, back and forth, you'll also want to make sure that the heater block set screw is loosened. If the heater block still cannot be moved and you cannot use any of the suggestions you can send an email to [url=mailto:support@lulzbot.com]support@LulzBot.com[/url] to start the exchange process.