Budaschnozzle 2.0 PLA Fix

Have questions? Want advice?
Orias
Aleph Objects | LulzBot

Re: Budaschnozzle 2.0 PLA Fix

Post by Orias » Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:08 pm

Modzer0 wrote:Had a lot of PLA leakage above the heater block on a Budaschnozzle 2.0 and replaced it with a Budaschnozzle 2.0c as I needed to rebuild the old one and was told the 'c' version fixed the leakage. Well, it didn't and I still have some pooling on the heater block. I'm going to try printing out a cooling nozzle found here viewtopic.php?f=36&t=983 and see how it goes.

Isn't it about time for an all metal extruder path that can handle higher temps? It'll require some active cooling but that's not that much of an issue.
We're developing the LulzBot Hexagon Hot End- a variant of the RepRapDiscount Hexagon hot end. If you encounter PLA leaking, please feel free to send an email to support@lulzbot.com with the following information and we'll see how we can help:

* Order number

* 3D printer serial number

* Contact information

* Shipping information

Thanks!

Modzer0

Post by Modzer0 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:14 pm

Orias wrote:
Modzer0 wrote:Had a lot of PLA leakage above the heater block on a Budaschnozzle 2.0 and replaced it with a Budaschnozzle 2.0c as I needed to rebuild the old one and was told the 'c' version fixed the leakage. Well, it didn't and I still have some pooling on the heater block. I'm going to try printing out a cooling nozzle found here viewtopic.php?f=36&t=983 and see how it goes.

Isn't it about time for an all metal extruder path that can handle higher temps? It'll require some active cooling but that's not that much of an issue.
We're developing the LulzBot Hexagon Hot End- a variant of the RepRapDiscount Hexagon hot end. If you encounter PLA leaking, please feel free to send an email to support@lulzbot.com with the following information and we'll see how we can help:

* Order number

* 3D printer serial number

* Contact information

* Shipping information

Thanks!
Done, and thank you!

silly_snake

Post by silly_snake » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:59 am

(((FIGHTING OOZE BETWEEN HEATBLOCK AND NOZZLE)))

I been fighting this ooze problem for some time. But, I also wanted to find something in my local store and not have to order online and wait for how ever long it was going to be delivered. I have came across some stuff called Megaloc.
Its a Multi-Purpose thread sealant. You can pick this up at a local Menards Hardware Store. I also use threading tape from Walmart. It feels like its more thicker than what you would get from Menards, Lowes, or Home depot.

Since I have used this product with threading tape I purchased from Walmart I have not even had a dribble of PLA from between heat block and nozzle. The threading tape also feels a little more thicker than blue eagle threading tape from Home Depot.

Now, I have not yet tried to just adding the Megaloc to the threads and run a print. I will give it a shot just adding Megaloc with no tape and see what kind of result occurs.

I also came across a tube of Harvey's TFE Paste. Not yet gave this stuff a shot, but I will later on in time.

Here are links to these products with info. I hope these help. I know I can walk away from a running printer with out having to get up and keeping cleaning ooze from between heat block and nozzle. Thank God.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Oatey-Thread- ... c/17126516

http://www.menards.com/main/plumbing/ro ... c-8534.htm

http://www.menards.com/main/plumbing/ro ... c-8534.htm

Also here are some images on how I go about ooze prevention. Some steps are the same as what was given at the beginning of this post, but I don't think they add thread sealant to threading tape. I do that because of so many different ways of trying to stop it has stretched the nozzles just a bit, but not overly stretched. I have been able to let printer run for 48 hrs with out ooze and no strain on taking the nozzle back off the thread extension. :P

I hope this helps.

Steps.

1. Sorry no image of Threading Tape on extension threads. But I am sure you can imagine that procedure.
Attachments
2.jpg
Apply sealant to brush.
3.jpg
Then apply to the thread extension. Sorry for blur.
4.jpg
3. Hand tight nozzle to thread extension with socket.
5.jpg
4. Excess Thread Sealant smoothed out from paint brush. Ready to install to printer. *** Just one more thing I do and that is after installing the Buda Nozzle to printer. I let the nozzle sit for one hour to the Temperature that I will be running nozzle. This allows the sealant to set. I also don't do any extruding till the sealant sets. So, wait for that one hour. I hope this helped. Its worked for me.

silly_snake

Post by silly_snake » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:45 am

Well, I finally was able to have the time to try just adding the Megaloc sealant to the Extension threads and nozzle. But due to the nozzle being stretched from adding PTFE tape so many times before, that it failed to hold back any of the PLA. Maybe when I get some new nozzles I will give a shot, but I am really considering on buying an all metal nozzle for different types of filaments. Maker Geeks has one I'm interested in buying. Not unless we can buy one off Lulzbot, if they ever get around on designing one or what ever.

Orias
Aleph Objects | LulzBot

Post by Orias » Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:19 pm

We are working on an all-metal hot end, the LulzBot Hexagon (modified and based off of the RepRapDiscount Hexagon). We should be releasing it soon, hopefully in the next month or so. Here's a directory with a compatible mount and more information: http://devel.lulzbot.com/TAZ/accessorie ... oth_guppy/

silly_snake

Post by silly_snake » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:26 am

Well, I did read some time ago about you guys working on a all metal hot end. I just hope that the weak nozzle that is on the Buda schnozzle wont be applied to this Hexagon hot end. I checked out that RepRapDiscount Hexagon hot end. Very nice, but I will wait to see what design is created before I go out on a splurge.

I just hope when this all metal hot end is finished that there will be plenty for all Lulzbot printer operator owners and the product is not on a rushed production with manufacture defects. I also hope that the price is not going to be a pocket priced gouging product. I have went to the TAZ accessories page and have not yet looked at the complete folders, but I hope that a down load fan mount stl file for the heat sinks is going to be accessible to print.

Honestly love you guys or girls on always working with us that have problems. I will look in the forum chat on this new all metal hot end discussion. I do have a few more questions, but really need to be posted on that discussion.

Like always thank you for respond.

Makuna

Post by Makuna » Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:56 pm

Well, after near a year of solid performance, removing and cleaning the 0.35 head 6 to 7 times, I tried a 0.5 head. While the first few prints were nice in abs and the first pla came out fine, I started an hour print and it looked good for the first 10 minutes, walked away, came back 15 minutes latter and had ooze spreading out all over the place.

Ooze above and below; and even with a hot head, I can't get the tip to move. :cry:

suntorn

Post by suntorn » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:04 pm

Printing with abs first then you will not have this problem with pla, promise. I had the same problem, cuz I started with pla, cuz I thought it would be easier, and I had the same problem of leaking pla on top of heater block, I ran abs through a couple prints and never had the problem again!

suntorn

Post by suntorn » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:04 pm

Printing with abs first then you will not have this problem with pla, promise. I had the same problem, cuz I started with pla, cuz I thought it would be easier, and I had the same problem of leaking pla on top of heater block, I ran abs through a couple prints and never had the problem again!

Makuna

Post by Makuna » Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:00 am

suntorn wrote:Printing with abs first then you will not have this problem with pla, promise.
If you read closely, you would have noted that I did print ABS first, a few prints, which did come out nice. First PLA print after those was created a total mess.

Lulzbot was great and taking the head back and shipping a rebuilt one. The new head was different. The new heater is much faster at coming up to temp (half the time as the original), and even after printing a few prints again in ABS, the first print in PLA and it oozed again. So far it has only been a few drops and only above the heater; not the total mess I had before; so I can live with this.

I think the issue comes from the transition from ABS (230 degrees) to inserting the PLA filament and extruding while dropping the temp to 180. Drop it too fast and the ABS hardens before its all pushed out and causes back pressure and get some ooozing. Drop it too slowly and you burn the PLA and clog and get a total mess.