Taz 4 or 5 X & Y End Plates FOR SALE

I have a set of X End Plates and Y Axis End Plates for the Taz 4 or 5 for Sale. They are bare aluminum but I can paint them black if you wish. If your interested in purchasing these send me a PM.

VERY VERY VERY VERY nice… :wink: I will PM but I suggest posting prices up publicly, you’ll probably get more hits.
Nice work by the way. Now if only we could get all the parts made in CNC alum. :wink:

Correct me if I’m wrong but the Taz 4/5 front plate has holes wider than the ones you pictured. :confused:

It looks like you may have machined the wrong part. The Y mount bearing holder has holes wider than that.

The reason I caught this is because I made the same mistake. I found that same solidworks drawing here:
http://download.lulzbot.com/TAZ/3.0/production_parts/manufactured_parts/
It is the Y_axis_end.SLDPRT solidworks drawing. I assumed since it was on the lulzbot site that it was reliable, apparently not.

When comparing it to the bearing holder it just didn’t make sense. I hope I am wrong because I wasted a lot of time printing it haha.

To clarify, this is what your y-axis front plate looks like:
http://oi58.tinypic.com/xbiwxj.jpg

This is what I think the y-axis front plate should look like:
http://oi59.tinypic.com/2mw9uah.jpg

On that note does anyone know where I can find an accurate drawing or STL file of the y-axis front plate? The one I pictured is just an approximate sketch.

You mean like this Jonathan…

OH…MY…GAD…

Bows down**

When I first got my Taz, this is what I wanted to do…but then I realized it prints pretty good already so sort of shelved the idea. But now that I’m using my Hotbox enclosure, it’s something I’m thinking about again… if you isolated the ebox outside the enclosure and watercooled the steppers on this machine, you could add a heater and push those temps wayyy up!

just curious, make these yourself or have them done? how much did it cost you? Very cool.

I milled aluminum frame corners for my Taz. We had a HAAS at our makerspace and this my intro project into it. I haven’t got around to installing them yet.

Making all the parts is supper impressive though. I had a hard time machining just the corners. Figuring out how to fixture things is harder than I thought

Your instagram is crazy awesome. :open_mouth:

https://instagram.com/hbmachineworks/

I have my own cnc mill and most of the parts were made from scrap 6061 t6 i had left over from other projects. Not really sure what the cost would be for all the machined parts as I didn’t keep track of time as they were for myself. I could go back
into my cam software and get run time to determine machining costs. Oh and Sain thanks on the Instagram and those frame corners look really nice.

well congrats, your parts are beautiful…

lol…if I know CNC, it’s expensive :slight_smile:… mind if I ask what machine your are using? Hurco?

I do a lot of work with motorcycles, this sort of work always comes in handy, if your rates are descent I might need some things made later on. I’ll keep you in mind.

My mill is actually a converted/modified/upgraded Grizzly mill. Ballscrews/zerobacklash ballnuts/steppers and encoders. Upgraded spindle to 2hp belt drive. Some may think its a toy but it has churned out hundreds of parts(countless machine hours). Being a machinist i know what i can and cannot do with it and it has treated me very well. I generally charge 40-60hr
, time frame, complexity of the part, material, tooling required and tolerance factor in on the rate. Most of the work i do is in aluminum or plastic with tolerances more often than not at +/- .005 so 40hr is the norm. Although I’m looking at a new HAAS mini mill so tougher materials and even tighter tolerances would be a nice change.

awesome… but it’s converted to CNC though? I’m assuming yes, seeing some of the parts you’ve made.

A CNC mill was actually on my list before a 3D printer, I was lined up to get a Syil X7 but then they brought the price up and I couldn’t justify it. I looked into buying a standard mill like the grizzly then adding a kit but it just seemed like a lot of extra work. It’s too bad there aren’t many options for the hobbiest out there, unlike with 3D printers. Did you buy a kit?

I would be milling in aluminum and plastic exclusively also. I’m an aluminum fanatic, I think it’s the coolest material out there, fairly cheap, light, strong, easy to machine, fairly easy to shape sheet, just has so many things going for it.

All the mounting hardware and machining to convert over to cnc was done at my old job(we could use the equipment on off hours). Everything else i sourced of the internet. And i’ll second that on Aluminum. 3d printing wasn’t even in my vocabulary until a few months ago. I was in a motorcycle accident and couldn’t work and just happen to stumble across it while i was laid up. Now it has taken over, I print anything and everything people throw at me. If i could only get a job in this industry life would be good.

For a great hobbyist CNC mill you should look into a CNC ready Taig. http://www.taigtools.com

All you need is the CNC ready mill, a few steppers, a gecko drive G540 and a PC running Mach3. ~$1800 total. I have milled wood, plastic, alum, mild steel and stainless. Alum is its sweet spot, steel you have to go really slow but it works. I was in the process of converting over my bridgeport to CNC when I picked up the Taig, now the Bridgy rarely even gets turned on. Only when I need the extra work area of the full size mill.

Thanks!
Steven

nice link, I’ve wondered onto those a little while back, I still find them a little expensive for what you get… Syil had some nice options a few years ago, a nice CNC lathe turn key, just missing the laptop and software for about 4,000$ and some nice hobby/industrial mills, just borderline on industrial sized but still used 110, nice finished casing etc. for like 5-6$G, think they had payment plans also, now all their stuff is 220v, industrial and like 7-15$G… :cry: