Messy print

I own a Taz4, I’m a NOOB and still getting started. I just finished a print (AdaFruit’s pocket galaxy - https://learn.adafruit.com/pocket-galaxy). The print came out OK, but not great - there are some rough edges and sides, and there are places where some extra material built up.

Before I get to the results, here’s my setup:
Stock Taz4
White ABS (purchased from Lulzbot)
The software I’m running is the Lulzbot version of Cura.
Before I printed, I heated up the nozzle to 230 and the bed to 85.
When I printed in Cura, I set the material to ABS and the quality level to high.

Here are some images of the print:
DSCN1628.JPG
DSCN1630.JPG
DSCN1627.JPG
Also, before I printed, I made sure the nozzle was clean.
After the print was finished there was a buildup of material on the nozzle (this isn’t the first time there has been buildup at the end of a print, but it doesn’t seem to happen after every print either)

DSCN1632.JPG
As I mentioned, I’m new to 3D printing and still getting my feet wet. Maybe this is normal and to be expected, but I thought I’d reach out and see if it’s normal, and if there’s anything that can be done to improve the results I’m getting.

Thanks,

Jeff

Damn, I need one of these! I need to get saving. :cry:

I’m not a fan of CURA, I use Slic3r and Pronterface.

At any rate, did you use a Lulzbot provided profile for ABS?
One of these: https://www.lulzbot.com/support/taz-cura-profiles
If not - you should use one and see what happens.

You should not be getting those little curly-cue strings or globs on your nozzle.

Is your printer enclosed inside some kind of box, or open to cool air drafts? ABS hates cool drafts.
Use cardboard if you need to, but build an enclosure around your printer to trap in heat and prevent cross drafts from cooling part.

You may want to slow your print speeds down too. Those little globs of material on your nozzle may be due to printing too fast and then the ABS cooling too fast and lifting off the previous layer. Then when the nozzle makes the next pass the lifting abs sticks to nozzle.

Just my 2 cents.

At any rate, did you use a Lulzbot provided profile for ABS?

yes

\

Is your printer enclosed inside some kind of box

No, but it’s located in my attic, and all windows were closed (and it was a warm day as well). But that reminded me of something I read (and forgot) elsewhere on this forum - another user reported having problems and it was due to the fan on the power supply. Sure enough, the power supply was positioned such that the fan was directed right at the center of the build.

I still don’t have a shield/enclosure for the entire printer, but I repositioned the power supply, and made a shield for the power supply which redirects the air from the fan. I also tried printing with slic3r, and so far it looks like things are better. I’m still working through everything and testing things out, so I don’t know if the issue was with the fan on the power supply, or with Cura.

Thanks,

Jeff