Help with Raspberry Pi / Octoprint set up

Have questions? Want advice?
Theycallmejohn

Re: Help with Raspberry Pi / Octoprint set up

Post by Theycallmejohn » Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:40 pm

Kind of off topic but does anyone have any recommendation on where to get buy the Raspberry Pi. It looks like the B is the most current version (not B+). I wanted it to run prints with my AO-101. I would like to have it on wifi and get camera too.

Do I need a starter kit? If so which one. I can print my own case but it looks like you need certain power supplies, cameras and wifi dongles.

http://www.element14.com / http://www.mcmelectronics.com/?
Adafruit?
Amazon? (I have a prime membership)

Any advice on what I need to get setup and where to buy would be appreciated.

mirage335

Post by mirage335 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:50 pm

Microcenter offers competitive pricing if you want to pick it up locally.

You will need a USB micro cable and USB port (power supply). An SD card is also required for storage, >4GB is preferable. Networking can be achieved by either the onboard ethernet jack, or a USB WiFi dongle.

wmgeorge64

Post by wmgeorge64 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:23 pm

I am like the OP I just ordered a complete kit from CanaKit, Pi 2 B, PS and etc so I hope it all works. When my wireless Logictech keyboard and track pad combo comes tomorrow I will give it a try. I think the price on the whole kit was $69 from Amazon and then I ordered a breakout and breadboard kit for another $14. Free shipping with Prime of course.

Its been a long time since I have played with anything Linux, should be interesting. I am wondering if the entire SD card was bad with his kit, corrupt Noobs and all.
ULS Laser . Retired master Electrician in Iowa USA Lots of Hobbies

Theycallmejohn

Post by Theycallmejohn » Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:02 pm

mirage335 wrote:Microcenter offers competitive pricing if you want to pick it up locally.

You will need a USB micro cable and USB port (power supply). An SD card is also required for storage, >4GB is preferable. Networking can be achieved by either the onboard ethernet jack, or a USB WiFi dongle.
Thanks Mirage335
I picked up one at Microcenter (they are on sale so about $10 cheaper than Amazon). Everything else I ordered thru Amazon and some how got same day delivery at no extra charge.

I had some problems setting up the wifi with EDIMAX adapter so I found Youtube video which showed how to set it up.

Biolumo

Post by Biolumo » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:28 pm

Hey all, having some trouble getting my pi 3 up and running correctly. Since i'm new to both the pi and octoprint i'm running a bit in the dark, but i'm a linux user, so i have the basic skills to troubleshoot and fix things usually. I've tried using the latest nightly build of octopi since apparently the pi 3 is so new that there is not yet a stable build for it. Some people said the nightly builds work fine on a pi 3, but that was awhile back and now some say they don't.

Having formatted my sd card and imaged the latest nightly build the pi seems to boot up and get running. I am able to ssh into it from my machine, but when i tried the web browser it didn't work. Using the shell through ssh i am able to troubleshoot a bit. Trying to run octoprint manually and/or running various commands to see if it's even running seem to show that octoprint is not running. Someone also said to check my router to see if it shows up in the device table (which i also needed to figure out it's ip) and instead of having a device name of "octoprint" it has a device name of raspberrypi. Just a wild guess at this point, but maybe someone goofed and the current nightly build is not for octoprint, but instead is a default raspberrypi image??

Browsing through the sd card folders manually there does seem to be folders with octoprint stuff in them, but apparently octoprint is not running by default. Also, i guess it doesn't matter until octoprint is running, but there is no wifi text file in the root folder for me to configure the wifi settings.

Perhaps i just need to wait for a stable build, but there were others who said they already had pi 3's up and running with their mini's.

kcchen_00

Post by kcchen_00 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:59 pm

Watching the github issues, it seems a few of the recently nightly's didn't have Octoprint on the image... Try downloading the most recent copy of the nightly.

Biolumo

Post by Biolumo » Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:18 pm

kcchen_00 wrote:Watching the github issues, it seems a few of the recently nightly's didn't have Octoprint on the image... Try downloading the most recent copy of the nightly.
good to know. I'm pretty sure i'm using the latest. I suppose i could try an older one, but i'd be kind of guessing. Perhaps i'll just wait until a new one comes out. It's ironic that they call them "nightly" builds as more recently they look to be weekly.

franksanderdo

Post by franksanderdo » Sun May 08, 2016 10:31 pm

Hi Biolumo

OctoPi 0.13 is out and (as per release notes) ready to run on a Pi3

All the Best
Frank

3dRiffs

Post by 3dRiffs » Tue May 10, 2016 4:59 pm

It works great on my Pi 2 now that the desktop is gone, so I setup a Pi 3 and an old TV in the work room so I have direct control of the Octopi interface without having to shlep in my laptop.

Let me add my suggestion that all Octoprint users go support the project, even at $1/month. That's less than 1/3 a cup of coffee, or about the cost of 2 Roctopi's (is that the plural?). Darn cheap to let me print and monitor from any room in the house.

On that note, Please think three times (not just twice) before attempting to put octoprint on an internet-accessible machine. Unless you're very good at both locking it down initially, and maintaining that on a regular basis, there's serious risks. This isn't like having someone steal your iTunes files - a malicious actor could easily destroy the printer, and even potentially burn down the house. Or put it another way - I'm a security architect with the world's largest InfoSec company, and my octopi is nicely snuggled behind my fire(wall), all set for a long nights printing. IMHO (and that comes with two grains of salt), it's not worth the risk.