Win a bq Ciclop 3D scanner, advance Free/Libre/Open scanning

Want to help make Free/Libre/Open 3D scanning technology more accessible?

We are going to start reselling the bq Ciclop 3D scanner soon, which is a Free/Libre/Open product like the LulzBot TAZ and LulzBot Mini!

To help spur development and make the product easier to use, we are giving away a limited number of scanners to developers and super users in exchange for feedback, bug reports, suggested improvements, etc., especially as it relates to converting from a point cloud (PLY format) to an easily printable STL file using a Free Software tool-chain.

Do you have the time and interest in providing feedback for this project? Do you submit bug reports and contribute to the community? Are you based in the United States?* If so let us know why you should be chosen and we’ll announce the lucky recipients soon.

We will conclude this contest on September 15th and will announce the lucky winner soon after!

Participation is limited to US residents due to import/export restrictions on the lasers used in the product.*
**Exceptional developers may qualify for exceptional exceptions.

Neat! That’s a nice little scanner.

I’m half tempted to build one into the back frame of a taz, like one of those fold out beds.

I would like to test this scanner, because I have experience with kinect, asus xtion,matter and form, cubify sense and the occipital. i would really like an open source , well made printer to succeed. Also as a lulzbot dealer, it would be great to display to my customers.

Nice. Curious whether the scanning precision can be improved beyon the stated 0.5mm.

I would be proud to contribute, and I think I have all of the skills needed to be a very active participant. I love the open source concept, and would like to give back to the community that has helped me with so many 3d print issues. I’m primarily a software person, now retired, with insomnia. I have spent most nightt the past few weeks trying to figure out why my TAZ 5 misses way too many Z steps, and although I can finally get a good print, the solution is too clumbsy, basically a software band-aid to mechanical issues. I’ll post my quick fix later tonight. I rarely submit bug reports becasue I usually find they have been fixed already, just a few searches fix most problem. If you want specific skills just ask.

I would love the chance to evaluate and provide feedback on the bq scanner. While I’m new to 3D printing, I design scanners and other measurement sensors for industrial use. It would be interesting to see how the bq scanner compares.

I would like to contribute if I can. I am an electrical engineering student and pursuing a 3D printing related start-up that allows folks to use 3D printed parts to create simple internet connected machines. I would primarily be using the scanner to incorporate real objects into my own mechanical designs as decorative details. I have a strong background in product development for the Army Corps of Engineers and good technical communication skills.

I am new to the community but a developer and I know how to submit a proper bug report if needed. Also, I would LOVE to just test it out!

I live in the U.S. and have worked in professional software development in the past. I would certainly be willing to assemble the kit and file bug reports on the instructions and software. I might be willing to help make small changes to the software but I can’t commit to it.

Although I am new to the community, I believe I can contribute to this project effectively by providing useful feedback, bug reports, and suggested improvements. I am entering my senior year at the university with a major in composite materials engineering and a minor in math. In my spare time I code in C, develop tools and devices using Arduino micro-controllers, and 3D print using my Lulzbot Mini from CAD drawings I make on Solidworks. The BQ Cyclop 3D Scanner looks awesome and could prove to be very useful as open sourcing and the DIY community grows in popularity.

Is there a ‘place’ to give the feedback on concerns, improvements and such?

I have a couple.

Or do I put them in in 3D scanner hardware and make a new topic?

That’s what I plan to do.

I am very new to 3D Printing but work extensively in small run and indy toy development. I would be very interested to see how your scanner could integrate into the toy and model development workflow, particularly in cases where the goal is to model a toy based on something real that later has to be modified for artistic, copyright, or licensing reasons. I have been an IT Systems Analyst for a number of years and can certainly help you with regard to usable defect, issue, and feedback documentation. I would jump at the chance to check this out. Thanks in advance for reviewing my request either way.

I am the main printer technician for Custom 3D Creations, a 3D printing service bureau. We would be interested in troubleshooting and developing a 3D scanner, as well as contributing to the community with our findings. Custom 3D Creations is the consumer 3D printing department of ADM Industries, a manufacturing company. Our infrastructure and resources allow us to have full-time staff dedicated to 3D printing jobs and the development of new 3D printing processes. Custom 3D Creations supports ADM Industries on internal manufacturing items such as custom packaging, part chutes, brackets and production 3D printed parts. Much of our time is spent learning new ways to print odd parts, use new materials, and experiment with new processes. We have had jobs in which we needed to duplicate or modify an existing part; having a 3D scanner would simplify those projects greatly and give us, and therefore the community, experience and knowledge on how to make use of scanning in real world applications.

Regards,
Matthew Day
http://www.admindustries.com
http://www.custom3dcreations.build

I would be willing to help. I print things mostly just for personal use, but do so on a fairly regular basis and know my way around 3d printers. Haven’t done too much with product testing, but I could sure tell you what’s not working and what would make it better to me.

Hi Lulzbot folks,

I’d love to be a part of the testing and development of the Ciclops 3D Scanner. I have extensive experience in product development and testing in addition to a long career in software and hardware engineering. My engineering experience can help spot potential improvements in manufacturability and functionality. I have a tendency to pursue complex projects, so I am sure I will find ways to push the limits of this machine and maybe improve the resolution a bit. And maybe someday, we can connect a 3D scanner and a 3D printer to make a 3D copier! (I’ll be working on it as soon as I get a scanner)

Thanks,

Dan Isdell

Well, I guess the best argument I can make for being a test site for a shinny new 3D scanner is that we are medium-large academic program at a major research university who already has an original TAZ to go with it, as well as a laser cutter that we could use to create layered models from the scans. I just upgraded the TAZ to dual extruders, so it would be very cool to scan and then print hollow objects using dissolvable support material. Our students get trained and then have open access to our digital fabrication lab, so I would like to see what they figure out how to do with the combination of 3D scanning, 3D printing, and laser cutting.

Plus I tell everyone who will listen that if they are going to buy an FDM 3D printer, that they should by a TAZ! One of our alums just bought a dual extruder TAZ5 for his program at Emory University. I would be happy to provide regular feedback and photos of student work if my university were chosen as a test site.

Even if we aren’t picked, awesome job! Libra scanning is the next step toward a revolution in manufacturing as far as I’m concerned.

Because I am the all knowing mastermind of the universe. Obviously everyone here wants one for free. But who will give you the best feedback for free? That person is me. 20 plus years as marketing professional for engineering.

this would be a sweet unit to start testing in the lab! I know a lot of programming majors over at the school that would LOVE to dive into the code and quite at few Engineering majors that would love to tweak the hardware. I would be not just providing feedback for myself, but for a whole crowd of people using and critiquing the device.

As the art teacher at a private elementary school in Boulder CO; I spend most of my day facilitating young artist as they develop their ideas. One of our favorite forms of expression is three dimensional sculpture which ranges from modeling with clay and wax to hot glueing all sorts of plastic containers, bottle tops, straws, skewers you name it. If you haven’t given a kid a small low melt hot glue gun and piles of miscellaneous stuff; you’re in for a surprise. After participating in a PD workshop through CU’s Science Discovery on 21st century materials; it didn’t take much convincing to make my case for a Lulzbot mini and the chance to push a STEM-based curriculum. We have a lot of parents that are engineers, software developers and academics at the university. These are people that appreciate the value of opportunity. The ability to scan and turn their work into digital form would be another feather in the cap of tomorrows innovators.