The "Introduce yourself" topic.

Have questions? Want advice?
pHrail

Re: The "Introduce yourself" topic.

Post by pHrail » Fri May 20, 2016 6:00 pm

Hi,
Never used a 3d printer before...was sitting through some really boring as hell release planning meeting at work that was driving me crazy, ended up on lulzbot and bought a Taz 6. Not sure WTF i just got myself into, but I'm here and gonna build the hell out of some plastic stuff.

Thanks!
-Chris

Geek2Nurse

Post by Geek2Nurse » Sat May 21, 2016 10:32 am

I had to share this worksheet my granddaughter's kindergarten teacher sent home with her the other day. :D
Attachments
13151684_10153857729323192_4239546172510415446_n.jpg
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness." - Dave Barry

Neamerjell

Post by Neamerjell » Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:37 am

Who am I?
I never use my real name online unless I am buying something or paying bills, so I go by either Neamerjell or Jeremiah Bullfrog. I am an all around geek. I love sci-fi movies, series and books, science, technology, Lego, PC gaming, anime, just about anything geeky. I live near Cincinnati, Ohio.

What's with that username?
A long time ago, maybe between 2000 and 2003, a friend of mine was trying to come up with a username that wasn't already taken and wouldn't be like "JSmith3695". So he made an anagram of his first and middle names and came up with "Bojesphob". I loved the idea so I created my own: "Neamerjell". I pronounce it "knee-mer-jell". So far, I have had zero issues creating a unique username.

3D printer experience
Besides walking into MicroCenter and being mesmerized by the whirring, whining, machines which are surely the first step on the way to producing an actual replicator from Star Trek? About 16 hours on my brand new Lulzbot Mini.

What I have printed so far
With the included HIPS sample:
A near perfect "Rocktopus", the Open Hardware Keychain (broken), a wire frame dodecahedron with lots of stringy bits (broken)

With the Inland (MicroCenter's house brand) PLA I bought:
A failed benchmark piece, a lot of wasted oozed filament, a couple of decent benchmark pieces, a near perfect 3Dbenchy tugboat, and a dang near useless 11.5mm wrench that was supposed to be adjustable, but the screw part fused to the body and is now part of the body. I'm still trying to figure out just what the Lulzbot Mini is capable of and what I should reasonably expect from it.

Why I got into 3D printing
I blame the YouTube users Barnacules Nerdgasm for the interest and 3D Printing Nerd for my choice of printer. Like I said before, I'm interested in almost anything geeky, and this is about as geeky as it gets! :D I was fascinated by the concept of a 3D printer and I have seen other automated fabrication devices - laser cutters, CNC mills, etc, but a 3D printer was something I actually had a chance at owning. I tend to be a bargain hunter, Mom taught me well in that respect, and the Lulzbot Mini looked like a bargain compared to the Ultimaker 2 which is nearly twice the price. The Mini's heated and automatically leveling bed, and having it work right out of the box were huge selling points for me. The fact that MicroCenter had it in stock and I could walk out the door with one that day sealed the deal.
"To err is human. To really foul things up requires a computer!"

*Proud owner of a brand new Lulzbot Mini

njgsx96

Post by njgsx96 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:18 pm

A bit about yourself:
My name is Rich Clemente and I currently work in IT, managing an internal support team. I have quite a few hobbies and enjoy a wide variety of things to do. I enjoy computers, PC gaming, and repairing, building and modifying games and cabinets of all types for gaming. I enjoy pinball and virtual pinball. I enjoy cars and racing and participate in quite a few wheel-to-wheel events. I enjoy the outdoors and hiking and splitting wood. Love movies and I usually watch them outside on a large projector in my backyard. Way too many hobbies!

3D printer experiance:
I have no experience in 3D printing whatsoever. After scouring the web, ad nauseum, for reviews and youtube channels and articles, I picked up a TAZ 6 and flexystruder for a great price.

Why I got into 3d printing:
I enjoy building handheld games, modifying non-repairable systems and sticking raspberry Pis in them. Built a few in which I had a friend print the cases for me. Thought it was real neat. Then thought I could use it for many other things. Figured, let me buy one!

We get decent online training through work so I have been spending time taking classes on SolidWorks. Been going through this forum as well and reading articles on filament and such as well. I am really looking forward to seeing what I can make. It is currently assembled in my dining room. Need to get a new table to set up so I can put it next to my computer. Hopefully this weekend will have some prints going! Already I have friends asking me to make stuff. LOL Can't wait actually. Will hopefully enjoy putting this thing to use and making some nice prints (hopefully!)

Matsugawa

Post by Matsugawa » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:34 am

The "Introduce yourself" topic.
A bit about yourself:
My name is Roland, I'm in my mid-30s living a few miles outside of St. Louis. I work a day job to pay bills, but I'm an artist all other times. I work digitally now, having previously worked in mixed media like ink wash and charcoal. I've always loved geometry; it's the only math subject I was ever any good at. Turned out to be something of a saving grace to an otherwise unremarkable skillset.

3D printer experience:
Very, very deep end of the pool sort of situation. I hadn't touched 3D software of any variety since at least 2005, back when Bryce just introduced version 7 and Poser 4 was still the new hotness. I'd gotten a job recently working quality assurance at an automotive parts company. One day I was told about a position open to work with a 3D printer making test fixtures for 3rd party products we were rebranding, and got given the application. I took a short practical test in TinkerCAD (which required a little practice beforehand) and got the best time out of the other two candidates. That was about a year ago and I've gone from an early bird Makerbot Replicator to a pair of Lulzbot Taz 5s and a Prusa i3 Rework. I have a Micro M3D as my personal printer, which is both a fun little gadget and a way to root for the underdog.

Why I got into 3d printing:
When someone needs a very specific part that either 1) isn't made anymore, if ever at all or 2) would take way too long to make by some other means, I like the idea that I can take a few measurements, sculpt a few virtual blocks and wedges, and then set in motion a machine that makes those polygons and x-y-z coordinates into a physical object and hand it right off to them.
---- :?: ----
Lulzbot Taz 5 with dual extruder
Windows 7 PC, 8GB RAM
Cura 21.03/Autodesk 123D
---- :idea: ----

tonyboutwell

Post by tonyboutwell » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:50 am

A bit about myself
My name is Tony Boutwell. I am a creative director for a new escape room company called Paradox Games and Escape Rooms. I have 25 years experience in advertising/marketing. I have worked for super large companies (Peavey Electronics - 2,000 employees) and super small companies (my own advertising agency with three employees). My degree/emphasis in college (way back in the 90's) was in computer animation.

3D printer experience
Zilch. My Taz 6 comes tomorrow. So I am a total noob. :)

Why I got into 3D printing
Because I have been in computer animation in one form or fashion for almost 25 years - I have amassed a lot of original 3D models that I have created. I thought this would be a fun way to bring some of those into the real world. :) I also am hoping we can use this to help with some of the unique prop creations that we are needing to build for our escape room company.
New Taz 6 Owner

elefant_man

Post by elefant_man » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:17 pm

Hello fellow Lulzbotter's new member to the forum here.

A Bit About Myself: My name is Rich or (elefant man as im known). I am a design engineer by trade using SolidWorks day to day to design mechanical assembly's. I live in sunny Cheshire UK and have been a mechanical engineer for more years than I care to count. I have a well kitted workshop including Lathe, CNC milling machine, 3040 CNC router and my 3D printer wich is a Lulzbot Mini, just changed from a wanhao D5S mini. I am really into computers, building, overclocking, modding and playing games when I have time. My other main interests are radio controlled models, electronics and stationary steam and I.C engines. I fly model planes, helicopter and quads but seem to fly less and less due to my lack of social abilities I much prefer my own company lol.

3D Printer Experience: I love technology and 3D printers have always fascinated me. I bought my wanhao D5S mini a couple of year ago and for all its flaws loved it, it taught me about firmware, Wanhao locked it down so much I flashed my own and then bought Simplify3D. I spent a lot of time learning the ins and outs of S3D and how to set up profiles well and calibrate and tune the printer for different filaments. I have now made my own S3D profiles for the Lulzbot mini and I am loving the new found accuracy a quality printer can produce coupled with all I have learned in the past.

Why I got into 3D printing: It saves me standing in the cold workshop to make things in the winter on my mill and lathe. I can also produce things that are far to cost prohibitive of complicated for me to make.

Where I want to go with my 3D Printing: I don't really know I just print for fun and to relax. There is no pressure to produce to a deadline or schedule like at work.

Coolest thing, to me, that I've printed so far: My SuperNova lamp, drawn by me in Solidworks and printed all on the mini. http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2039147

You can alway keep an eye on what I am up to I tend to update twitter with what I am printing also upload time lapse vids to youtube.
twitter: @Elefant_Man https://twitter.com/Elefant_Man?lang=en-gb
Youtube:https://www.youtube.com/user/ElefantXPS

tonyboutwell

Post by tonyboutwell » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:23 pm

Welcome and Wow...that lamp rocks! I am fairly new...had my Taz 6 for about 3 weeks. It is my first 3D printer so trying to soak up as much knowledge as I can. :)
elefant_man wrote:Hello fellow Lulzbotter's new member to the forum here.
Coolest thing, to me, that I've printed so far: My SuperNova lamp, drawn by me in Solidworks and printed all on the mini. http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2039147
New Taz 6 Owner

elefant_man

Post by elefant_man » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:02 pm

[quote="tonyboutwell"]Welcome and Wow...that lamp rocks! I am fairly new...had my Taz 6 for about 3 weeks. It is my first 3D printer so trying to soak up as much knowledge as I can. :)

Wish I had room for a 6 :lol: It all takes time to learn but its a fun experience and places like this are invaluable. If in doubt ask the only silly question is the one not asked.

Jel111

Post by Jel111 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:47 am

I just picked up a used AO 101. I want to get into 3d printing but the good ones are expensive so I bought an older Bot hoping it is still good.
My thoughts are what is still possible with this machine and Lulzbot doesn't support it anymore. I see no action for over a year on that forum section. Guess on on my own?