The "Introduce yourself" topic.

Have questions? Want advice?
olantigh

Re: The "Introduce yourself" topic.

Post by olantigh » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:48 am

Hello everybody my name is Richard, and my username (olantigh) if your wondering is the name of the hamlet my family came from 960 years ago. (and no I don't live anywhere near there!)
I'm a professional gardener and have worked with several famous people within the industry, one such thing I did way back in 2004 was that I became the head gardener for the BBC tv programme "Gardeners World" since then, things have quietened a lot career wise.
I've always had an interest in making things, I started as a child with plastic kits- then I moved onto printed out card craft stuff from the internet a few years ago- making all sorts of repro props and models from movies, and then I discovered 3d printing.
I've only had my printer for perhaps two weeks and the learning curve has been steep, I would like to say this was my first printer, but its not (technically) I made a bit of mess of things buying my first TAZ 6 from amazon-bought it without the correct cables for my little part of the world, so back it went- quite a painful lesson in my pocket at the time, my fault I should have read the small print. However now everything is fine, I had some issues but the Lulzbot support team sorted those out and now the only thing I have to worry about is running out of filament!
The amazing thing is, that all the things I want to print out are going to be presents for other people, I haven't given much thought to what I want- there's so much out there and for the moment I shall refrain from printing out odds and sods I don't need. (let the excitement pass)
I have to say I was quite impressed with my first proper print, looked quite professional, but I still have a lot to learn...oh and I have briefed the next door neighbours of what that strange sound is right next to the wall of their bedroom is too.

Topaazy

Post by Topaazy » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:27 am

The "Introduce yourself" topic.
A bit about yourself:
My name is Darius, I'm in my mid-30s living a few miles outside of St. Louis. I work a day job to pay bills, but I'm an artist all other times. I work digitally now, having previously worked in mixed media like ink wash and charcoal. I've always loved geometry; it's the only math subject I was ever any good at. Turned out to be something of a saving grace to an otherwise unremarkable skillset.

3D printer experience:
Very, very deep end of the pool sort of situation. I hadn't touched 3D software of any variety since at least 2005, back when Bryce just introduced version 7 and Poser 4 was still the new hotness. I'd gotten a job recently working quality assurance at an automotive parts company. One day I was told about a position open to work with a 3D printer making test fixtures for 3rd party products we were rebranding, and got given the application. I took a short practical test in TinkerCAD (which required a little practice beforehand) and got the best time out of the other two candidates. That was about a year ago and I've gone from an early bird Makerbot Replicator to a pair of Lulzbot Taz 5s and a Prusa i3 Rework. I have a Micro M3D as my personal printer, which is both a fun little gadget and a way to root for the underdog.

Why I got into 3d printing:
When someone needs a very specific part that either 1) isn't made anymore, if ever at all or 2) would take way too long to make by some other means, I like the idea that I can take a few measurements, sculpt a few virtual blocks and wedges, and then set in motion a machine that makes those polygons and x-y-z coordinates into a physical object and hand it right off to them.

Aha

Post by Aha » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:47 pm

Hello all, I'll try to post more on this forum since I'm trying to get my new v3 head tuned just right and it's still got plenty of mistuning pains.

I got my first 3d printer back in 2012 ish I think. Spent months getting it set up right even though it was supposed to work right out of the box! I was going to go with an A01 I think, or lulzbot at least, when my friend convinced me there was a new better one (it wasn't!). It's a pain I'm still lugging around and it's loud and doesn't work well. Got a delta printer a few years ago, then last year finally had the money and just got the Taz 6, which I've loved. Sooooo much better than any of my others.

Then I just got the new v3 last week and I'm trying to get it working. While it's a pain and I hate cura, it's also still been printing within 2 days and that's a far cry from any others I've dealt with.

Been using solidworks for design for years, both in prototyping and designing. Some work related and some not. Now I've tried to merge my fun world of 3d printing with arduino and electronics along with real work for startups and actually building cool stuff.

Luis

Post by Luis » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:28 am

Hey guys,
i'm pretty new in 3D modeling, going to start step by step from using my 3d scanner and Recap. A friend of mine gave me a used Prusa i3 and I had an idea to try myself in 3d printing. I know that in the beginning it will be hard, because this is a fairly new area for me, but with enthusiasm and free time, nothing is impossible, right? ;)

Edge

Post by Edge » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:28 pm

A bit about yourself:

My name is Kelly Bramble and have worked as a mechanical design engineer for more than 37 years. Degrees in engineering and aviation maintenance, ASME Senior GDTP certified since 1997, FAA Airframe and Powerplant license, private pilot. I have contributed to spacecraft and aerospace technologies such as, V-22 Osprey, AH-1W Cobra, AEHF, Superconducting Super Collider (SSC) and many, many more technologies. Currently I am the founder and president of the Engineers Edge website (www.engineersedge.com) supporting more than 2.1 million unique monthly website users. I personally deliver engineering, design and manufacturing training and consulting services for Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing per. ASME Y14.5-2009 and ISO-1101. I also conduct training and consulting services for Design for Manufacturing and Assembly. Have authored and published seven engineering, design and manufacturing books.

CAD

First design engineering job we used drafting boards, moved into 2D cad CADAM, then Intergraph EMS, MicroStation, Pro-E, and then Solid Edge.

3D Printing experience

First print back in the mid 1990’s, prototype using stereolithography technique for fit, form and function verification on project. I currently use 3D printing for customer part and assembly design reviews and optimizations. Also, I make toys and presents for the grandchildren and family and fix stuff…

In general, I’m impressed with modern 3D printing capabilities, costings and the variety of materials available.

ajusay74

Post by ajusay74 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:00 pm

Angelo Jusay - I'm a Unity3d Generalist. I'm developing games and apps for five years. Earned my bachelors degree in Visual and Game Programming from The Art Institute of California-Hollywood, I also have certificate programs in Applications Programming from UCLA Extensions.