Thermal Error using Flexystruder V2

I have been trying to use the Flexystruder at a nozzle temperature of 290C. I wanted to make sure the toolhead to withstand this temperature before I went into printing my custom polymer. I let the toolhead idle at 290C for an hour, and the toolhead was able to maintain the temperature. I am using compressed air directed at the heat sink to attain a cooling effect (with a heat shield in place to prevent air flow toward the hot end).

After 8 minutes of printing, the temperature started to drop, and at ~250C the LCD read “THERMAL ERR” and printing stopped. This happens for temperatures upwards of 280C. I need to print my polymer at temperatures higher than 280C. I think the heater is unable to maintain the temperature during printing. Any idea how I can avoid this problem?

Thanks!

There are heat limits in the firmware that you have to adjust for super high temperature printing. You have to edit those and reflash the firmware I believe. Also you may need a thermocouple, not a thermistor to achieve temperatures above 280.

You could try to put a higher wattage cartridge in the tool-head, and maybe then it will be able to maintain the temp.