IMPORTANT! Problem with Dual V3 and/or new Cura

Have questions? Want advice?
JohnMGray

IMPORTANT! Problem with Dual V3 and/or new Cura

Post by JohnMGray » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:37 pm

I installed the new Dual Extruder V3 and Cura 2.6.52 yesterday. I had a couple of issues I'll list later. The most critical issue is that either the firmware or the software is screwing up and will jam the head. I haven't found any specific reason for it and am not able to reproduce on demand, but it will reproduce itself when I'm not paying attention.

First, I printed the test gears per the instructions without any problems. I then load esun PLA+ in the left and esun PVA in the right. I printed a job without any issues ( except the ones trying to find the correct settings, which I'm not going to get into right now). After the job finished I cleared the bed and loaded the next file. I walked away and heard a bad grinding noise. Ran back and shut off the machine. The nozzle had decided to perform a clean right on the Z axis mini toggle extension, which jammed the nozzles into the extension and pushed it to the left (away from the bed). I noticed that when you install the extension holder properly you can see slots in the lower cable mount so I put a couple of small wire ties through the slots and around the cable holder to keep the extension holder pressed against the bed.

I started the job and didn't have any problems. After that I started another job and walked away. Heard a nasty sound again and found the nozzles trying to wipe beyond the new extended wiper pad. In other words, when the job starts, the nozzles should move to the beginning of the pad and then wipe along the length of it. For some reason the nozzles had moved to the middle of the pad to start and was moving across the plastic pad holder at the end. Got everything set back up and restarted the job. It started to jam again on the z axis extension holder. This time I figured I'd shut off everything, restart, home the machine, and restart the job. After that it printed fine.

I then started the next print job. This time I figured that even thought the machine was still on and connected I would home the axis before beginning, just in case it was losing it's position. I then started the job. After heating the print heads to begin a wipe, instead of moving along the y axis to the pad, it immediately moved down (z-) and start wiping into the z axis extension, which broke the extension holder after pulling the metal extension out of the holder. I stopped everything, then restarted. This time I started the job with my finger on the power button just in case. The print job started fine. I'll have to print another extension holder.

So, something is causing the firmware or software to lose track of where it is and what it's doing. That means I have to start every job with my finger on the power button just in case. So far it's either jammed against the z axis extension holder, or against the extended wiper pad.

JohnMGray

Re: IMPORTANT! Problem with Dual V3 and/or new Cura

Post by JohnMGray » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:51 pm

For those other issues I had. The Dual V3 backplate is too short. When I installed it and seated it in the mount, the screw couldn't be installed since the screw slot was too low. I raised the head and installed the screw but it's not mounted firmly against the holder at the bottom. I'll have to extend the screw slot for it to seat properly.

I also have a problem installing and removing filament. To install I cut the filament end at an angle then play with it until it goes in properly. It's annoying, but it works. To remove it I heat the nozzles up and use extract command. The instructions say to turn the gears by hand but that only works if you turn the motors off. The new idler springs aren't easy to use so it's a bit easier to use extrude and retract to move the filament once it's inserted far enough for the hobbed screw to catch.

The new Cura has a LOT of options, which can be extremely confusing for a newbie like me. I also haven't figured out how to add a new material profile since the new profiles are xml instead of ini now and I haven't found any decent instructions yet which tell me how to create my own materials. I have to just alter the profiles which are already there. (There is a "create" button under materials but when I push it nothing happens. Does this mean I have to make changes to a current material and then create? I have no clue and haven't had time to play yet.)

silent_ninja1

Post by silent_ninja1 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:47 pm

This almost sounds like the missing commands issue I was seeing. If you miss a relative to absolute command for example I could see some of this occurring. Are you printing over USB, from the SD card, octoprint, or something else?

nuroo

Post by nuroo » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:00 am

I'm glad you posted your issues. I hope they get addressed by Lulzbot quickly.
I was going to buy the v3 dual head and modular print bed system for Taz 6, but now I think i'll wait for the bugs to be worked out. I had a hard time with the flexydually.

JohnMGray

Post by JohnMGray » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:20 am

Printing is through USB from Windows 7, HP laptop. This is the same laptop I used for the previous version of Cura, and through Vectric Aspire to a CNC Shark Pro Plus, and through Mach 3 to an Ethernet Smoothstepper to a custom CNC 7x14 mini lathe. Not at the same time obviously. :) The only thing this laptop isn't controlling is my CNC milling machine which has a dedicated Windows XP system, since I'm too lazy to upgrade it right now.

I just kicked off another print job this morning. I loaded the file, turned on the Taz, "Connect"ed it. "Home All". Started the print. Everything appears to be working fine at the moment. Just using one extruder at the moment. Will try both again on a later print job.

JohnMGray

Post by JohnMGray » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:53 pm

Another update. Last job printed fine. I then changed filament to ABS in 1 and none in 2. I loaded the z axis extension mount file (the one that got broken from the previous crashes). Then I homed the printer "Home All". Then I clicked "Start Print". The printer homed again including z axis, then raised it's temp to 175. It immediately went forward just enough to miss the metal part of the z axis extension then did a down (-z) into the mount breaking it even more. I turned off the system, turned it on, raised the z axis, homed it again. disconnected Cura, then connected again, then homed the system again, then started the print again. This time when temp got to 175 it went straight down into the metal extension hard enough to start bending the bed y axis travel rods. Turned off the printer, redid everything, again, then started the print job again, and it did the wipe properly and started the print job. There is no reason that I can find that the printer should be doing what it's doing. I do the same thing every time to get ready to print. Looks like I going to have to go back to single extruder and old version of Cura. I'm concerned that something else might get broken worse if this continues.

nuroo

Post by nuroo » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:24 pm

Early adopters....... Thanks for you service.

Lulzbot should cover your expenses, for beta testing :D

DaniAO
Aleph Objects | LulzBot

Post by DaniAO » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:37 pm

Hello JohnMGray,
JohnMGray wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:37 pm
First, I printed the test gears per the instructions without any problems. I then load esun PLA+ in the left and esun PVA in the right. I printed a job without any issues ( except the ones trying to find the correct settings, which I'm not going to get into right now). After the job finished I cleared the bed and loaded the next file. I walked away and heard a bad grinding noise. Ran back and shut off the machine. The nozzle had decided to perform a clean right on the Z axis mini toggle extension, which jammed the nozzles into the extension and pushed it to the left (away from the bed). I noticed that when you install the extension holder properly you can see slots in the lower cable mount so I put a couple of small wire ties through the slots and around the cable holder to keep the extension holder pressed against the bed.
We do apologize about the troubles you are having and appreciate your feedback. Please reach out to our tech support team at Support@LulzBot.com or +1 970-377-1111 for help with the New V3 tool head.

JohnMGray

Post by JohnMGray » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:44 am

Latest update. I've narrowed it down to Marlin firmware version 1.1.5.44. Unfortunately that's the firmware which is needed to run the Dual Extruder V3. The basic problem is that when I first turn on the printer and run a print job, it appears to run fine. If I start a second print job it screws up within the first 35 or so lines of the start file gcode, but not always exactly the same spot. It doesn't matter if the first job completed successfully or was cancelled, or if I home the printer before the second job or not, or if I use Cura or the SD card directly.

As a temp fix I'm going to try a few print jobs today by turning off the printer between jobs so memory gets cleared. I'll give you all an update.

JohnMGray

Post by JohnMGray » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:21 am

OK, temporary fix if you have this problem. Turn off the printer and turn back on between print jobs. If using Cura, then "Disconnect", turn off printer, turn on printer, "Connect". It should start the next print job without crashing.